best affordable 6 inch rotary table

Like most things, you don't want to buy the cheapest you can find. Unfortunately I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I bought a no-name rotab of Indian make. The runout between worm and wormwheel is excessive causing binding and excessive backlash depending upon where the table is rotated.

I may attempt a fix on the worm runout sometime, but I'm not real optimistic that it can be improved. The wormwheel is cut into the table itself, and if that gear wasn't cut in the same setup as the table, the lack of concentricity may be causing my binding issue. I think it would be hard to be 100% sure if that's the issue or if it lies in the how the pivot/bushing assembly is fastened to the table. I could do a lot of work and find out there was little if any improvement, so holding off on that. . . .

The table locks were the same type as used on the Phase II, but only one worked at all, and that wasn't really effective. I became so frustrated with them that I removed them and implemented the Yuasa/Vertex style myself. Now I can use the table as an adjustable angle plate, anyway!

I'm sorely tempted to sell it for cheap and replace with something a little better. I would hate to stick somebody else with this stinker, though!

Jim

I have had all three, Grizzly, Vertex and Phase II. I have the Grizzly H 7527 now and am completely satisfied with it. "Billy G"

I also have the same Grizzly H7527 and I am very satisfied with it for the price. Presently I am retrofitting it for a stepper motor. Bob

Has anyone purchased any tools from CDCO Machinery http://www.cdcotools.com/ . I have not, but have been told, buy there when I receive my new mill, as their tools are yhe exact same as Grizzly at half the price.

Just when I'm seriously considering the 8 inch vertex grizzly sends me a 20 dollar off code coupon lol

Has anyone purchased any tools from CDCO Machinery http://www.cdcotools.com/ . I have not, but have been told, buy there when I receive my new mill, as their tools are yhe exact same as Grizzly at half the price.

I bought a QCTP from them and am happy. Price seemed better than everywhere else. Shipping was fast. I don't know if it is any better or worse than any other import; so I can't help you there.

Mike

I have a Soba. Imported from India I think. It is very well made for the price. It was used here to make a set of change gears for the mill, and the job turned out great.

Soba Rotary Table.jpgP1010055.JPG

Soba Rotary Table.jpg P1010055.JPG

Can somebody with the 6 inch vertex give me the slot to slot distance to mount it vertically I'm trying to figure what will fit my table best and also going back and forth on the weight since I've got two bulged discs I think the 30 pound 6 inch may be my choice

I'm coming in late on this, but nonetheless, I'll put in my vote for the Taiwan-made Vertex. I bought one (6") second-hand a few years ago, and it's got less than 0.0005" TIR, radial, and axial. Smooth operation, and you can disengage the worm to turn the table by hand. I got a set of plates from Hamilton Tool & Supply in Beaverkill Falls, PA for less than $100.

Unfortunately, it's in mothballs at the moment, so I can't take it out and measure the distance between the lugs.

BTW - I bought the 6" for three reasons: First, it's for a Maximat V10, so there's a limited work envelope; second, it isn't too heavy for me to jockey around (an 8" would be getting close to my limit); and third, it was available at the right price. (Maybe I should renumber "third" as "first"...)

I bought a 6" tilting rotary table from utoole.com, and am quite happy with the quality. It appears to be the same table Tormach sells with a stepper as a CNC table. Sometime this summer, I plan to put steppers on both axes to have a cheap 5-axis setup to play with.

-Steve

Does any one know if the Accura/Vertex brand sold by Hamilton Tool and Supply is a actual Vertex or clone? Amazon has a few sizes listed. According to my google search the Vertex company in Taiwan says just that, Vertex. Any one know who else carries Vertex besides Penn Tool and Rutland?

Regards
Darrell

Back