best affordable 6 inch rotary table

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well I want a table for my jet jmd 18 mill drill. wanna stay around 350. I know the best bargain is the grizzly that comes with all the accessories but I am also looking at the phase ll and vertex if I can find one also one by Rutland tools supposedly made by vertex what do you guys use ??? The grizz seems best kit wise but if the others are a better table I would rather have the best table instead of sacrificing quality for accessories :thumbzup3:

I purchased a 6" H/V rotary table with the tailstock and indexing plates from Shars last spring. The price was about the same as the one from Grizzly. It is a Chinese made unit, but works quite well in my book. The only thing I didn't like about it was the color of the paint on it, it is red and blue. Looks kinda bright! It works well, is nice and tight, and I really have no complaints. I believe that a Phase II or Vertex might be of slightly better quality, but I cannot say for sure. The new model from Shars has three slots instead of four like mine. Three slots makes it easier to mount a chuck to the table, but four slots is not a problem, I can easily make an adapter for a chuck. Their new 6" model also uses an MT3 taper, whereas mine uses an MT2 taper, which works for me as I already have a bunch of MT2 stuff for my Clausing 8520 mill. The table by itself currently sells for $285 plus shipping, and is available with tailstock and index plates for $503 plus shipping. I cannot say that it is the best for the money, simply that I am happy with mine.

Well I want a table for my jet jmd 18 mill drill. wanna stay around 350. I know the best bargain is the grizzly that comes with all the accessories but I am also looking at the phase ll and vertex if I can find one also one by Rutland tools supposedly made by vertex what do you guys use ??? The grizz seems best kit wise but if the others are a better table I would rather have the best table instead of sacrificing quality for accessories :thumbzup3:

Who knows on any given day what Enco branded stuff is, but if you call you can likely find out. The Vertex stuff made in Taiwan is definitely better than run of the mill China and India stuff. I have A 6" Vertex HV and a 10" Phase 2. The Vertex definitely has better fit and finish and does not leak like a sieve like the Phase 2. I have returned 2 rotary tables before settling on the ones I have. If you have the time, patience and strength or means to lift it a Moore is what you want, made in Merika, tolerances so close you cant measure and make anything from Asia look like what it is. If you need it today and want the best of the cheap, buy Vertex.

michael

The Grizzly one you mention is what I have. It is nice, not sloppy. The only thing I wish is that it fit the outer table slots so that the tail stock fit the center slot exact. I think it would require a 7" table. :dunno:
I'm glad it has 4 slots. 3 seems odd for some mounting.
Dave

I have a PM45 mill. I would highly recommend the Vertex RTs.

I originally bought a 6" RT cause I didn't want something heavy, it was a Rutland branded Vertex, but it was too small for my mill. I was not able to mount it to the middle slot on the table in the horizontal position cause the handlwheel dial would hit the edge of the table before it would line up. And in the vertical position, the slots would not line up either. Rather than mount it on a riser plate to use and/or modify it to fit like I did with my SS, I decided to sell it.

So next I went with an 8" Vertex & I'm so glad I did, I really felt the 6" was too small anyway. Fits my table perfectly. The slots line up with my table in the vertical position so no modification needed. And to top it off it has the same size T-slots as my mill table so I can use my clamping kit on it too.

You may want to check the specs of your mill vs the 6" RT so you don't run into the problem I had. Lucky for me my mistake didn't hurt my wallet as I got the 6" Rutland for $225 shipped new & the 8" Vertex new for absolutely free, didn't even pay shipping for it. I'd hate to see someone else make the same mistake.

Here's some pics to compare. Both are very nice IMO.

6"
Img_9364.jpg

Img_9371.jpg

Img_9367.jpg

8"
Img_0832.jpg

Img_9364.jpg

Img_9371.jpg

Img_9367.jpg

Img_0832.jpg

Img_9364.jpg

Img_9371.jpg

Img_9367.jpg

Img_0832.jpg

I have the Griz set up. Nice and tight. Only thing I really dont like is the handle gets in the way. They needed to make it half inch thicker all around for the handle to clear well. It's small though

I have had all three, Grizzly, Vertex and Phase II. I have the Grizzly H 7527 now and am completely satisfied with it.

"Billy G"

I also have the Indian made Grizzly set and have been well pleased with it. It doesn't get used every day in a job shop, so I can't justify buying something that will stay tight longer. My guess is that this set will still be tight when my hands and eyes no longer work. :)) Good luck whatever your choice.

I have the Vertex Knock off that came off of Ebay and all together I think I was all in for around the price you wanted to stay within. Mine does not have a Chuck, I just use the one from one of my other lathes or machines and it seems to work just fine. TIR is around 0.001 or less depending on how fiddly I feel like being too. I got the table and a set of index plates from 2 different vendors, the table came from Toolprecision for 199.00, the dividing plates came from PMSTORES for 65.00 The Table is a Vertex clone that came through very clean and mith no visible flaws or defects. Worth taking a look at if your interested. I will be glad to get you more informstion on thre vendors if you would like.

Bob

I'll give another vote for the Vertex.
I have the 8" and I'm very happy with it.

Back