benchtop mills

jvander68

Registered
Registered
I am looking to buy a bench top mill. my options are the grizzly g0704 , the g0619, g0519,or the g0720 even tho its over my budget. I want to spend anywhere between 1500.00 and 2000.00. Which one is my best value for my money?

The 0519 will be the heaviest and heavy is better. But look at the PM-45 at www.machinetoolonline.com It is basically the same as the Grizzly but with a stand included and free shipping and power down feed, at a little cheaper cost. That is the one I have and am real pleased with it.
Bobby

OK so If you had a choice between the grizzly g04003g 12 by 36 lathe and the g 6019 mill , And the precision matthews pm 1236 lathe and the pm 25 mv mill. Which one would it be?

The PM 45 shows to be out of stock.

Well I had a similar wish list and decided on the 0619 for a $2000 budget.. ($1,360 for the unit and the rest for tooling rotary table, vice, some end mills and some end mill holders, Sales tax and i was out the door and loaded in my truck at Muncy,PA for $ 2,200.) I'm sure more power and more mass and weight is nice but i'm not making bulldozer parts and it is, after all just a hobby. as for the power down/up feed....i was sad to pass it up, but after using my mill for a month i simply don't need it....
joe

Really interested in the discussion here. I used to repair and resell Bridgeport heads as a side line (in Detroit - long ago). A big knee mill is just way too big for my garage. I rebuilt a Burke (horizontal) mill many years ago and even eventually mounted a Bridgeport head on it. Now I own mini-mill. It is fine for a couple of projects that I initially got it for, but is just too small. I am considering if I can covert it into a tool grinder like a Brooks Stent.

I am interested in the PM45M mill. The table is large and the price is right and it is not insanely heavy. Right now, the web page shows it available.

Anyone out there have a Precision Matthews 45M? How do you like it?

dickda1, I have a PM45M with the power down feed and dro. I have been real pleased with it. I added a dro scale for the quill and now like it even better.
Bobby

Hi Bob,

I live in San Francisco. Precision Matthews is in PA, so I have been thinking in terms of a Grizzly machine since they have a warehouse on the West Coast.

But, I like the size of the PM45 and I am thinking strongly that I may order one.

Did you pay extra for a lift gait truck to drop it off at your place?

What do you think about the finish on the machine, fit of the table, etc? I own a chinese 12x24 gear head lathe. So, I know that an import is going to have some cosmetic problems.

You really like the machine? Did you buy it recently?

Dick
San Francisco

Are Precision Matthews mills shipped with a separate crate for the stand or is the mill sitting on the stand in the crate?

Back