Benchtop Bridgeport - what would you do?

See this is thread is getting old but definitely will be a light light duty setup. First project should be to fab up a stiffer base setup,nthe table clamp under neath and on the riser will twist veerrrrry easily while milling.

Hi all,

I am a novice machine hobbyist with a with benchtop Bridgeport mill that I would love to use. My father bought it at an auction and never hooked it up. When he passed I inherited it. The problem is that it doesn't have a cross feed bed. Can they be purchased? Is it worth messing around with this?

My hope is to use it for small projects.

Would love any advice/thoughts. Pictures below.
~ Carl

View attachment 180324

View attachment 180325

View attachment 180328
I like it
It is a Bridgeport M - head
Mounted on a drill press .
Clausing sold the 8540 horizontal milling
Machine equiped with this head for a year or two
You have a great piece there .
I would buy a X- Y mill table at Grizzly
And mount under it .

Totally cool little M head machine! X Y table and you are all set. Looks, and functions pretty much like a Rusnok that way!
You may do as well (as mentioned above) to sell the M head and buy something else, as the column on that drill press isn't too stout.
Let us know what you do!

If it were mine , id shop around till I found a small horizontal mill , rockford, standard, Hardinage, kent, even atlas . They would have sturdy tables to use and are usually fair priced. I just saw a few under $500. In working condition. Yupp if I wait and watch id find one.
When I wanted a plasma cutter it took over a year to get what I wanted at my price. Esab 875 as new few dents but no damage. Way less then half price of new.
Mills are out there save some money get the horizontal and then youll have both in one.

Back