1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Benchtop Bridgeport - what would you do?

Discussion in 'BRIDGEPORT MACHINES INC. & B'PORT CLONES' started by cederholm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cederholm

cederholm United States Active User Active Member

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Hi all,

I am a novice machine hobbyist with a with benchtop Bridgeport mill that I would love to use. My father bought it at an auction and never hooked it up. When he passed I inherited it. The problem is that it doesn't have a cross feed bed. Can they be purchased? Is it worth messing around with this?

My hope is to use it for small projects.

Would love any advice/thoughts. Pictures below.
    ~ Carl

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

Attached Files:

brino, scwhite and confederatemule like this.
  2. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

That's pretty cool. Looks like a drill press to me & not a mill. Never knew those existed.

confederatemule likes this.
  3. Bill C.

Bill C. United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Clarksville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

I never seen one either. Looks like a lite duty machine. Maybe a tool room mill.

4. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Looks like someone took a Bridgeport head and mounted it to a drill press stand. You can get a cross slide table for that just about anywhere that sells tooling. Won't be as sturdy as a real miller but would do for light work.

brino and confederatemule like this.
  5. Bill C.

Bill C. United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Clarksville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

Looks like you need a cross feed table to make it a milling machine. If it was mine try a Google search for a manual or more photos. I have never seen one, may have been a special built production WWII era machine.

Be sure to mount it on a heavy duty bench so any vibration will not weaken the table. I did read one advantage is it should be a direct electrical plug in. Apparently newer models are out there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I'm with Billh50, its a marriage. Its pure Bridgeport until you get to the pivot at the back. the unit on the column with the pivot in it is shop made to fit the two together. It still has the draw bar to tighten collets or tool holders, it just need a table.

It have it in a minute, were it offered.

7. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the input everyone. The machine was purchases in the late '80 for a Raytheon auction and I assumed it used for something special.

Thanks for the info about the cross feed table, any brand recommendations?

Currently I use my Maximat Compact (see pic below) for light duty milling/learning to mill. Do you think this Bridgeport would be capable of heavier duty milling? Heavier than then the Maximat that is.

hqdefault.jpg ...borrowed this pic off the internet but it's the same as mine.

hqdefault.jpg

8. GA Gyro

GA Gyro H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Atlanta
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I do not remember where I saw it, however I think I saw an add for a table that had both X and Y axis, screw driven, something like a foot square or so, and was around $400 give/take. Not very big, and I would not think it was 'that' accurate... however to do things like slots, facing, etc... probably would work fine.

Do a Google on it.. I suspect there are lots of offerings.

9. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

That pivot always did look odd to me, now this makes sense!

10. mzayd3

mzayd3 Active User Active Member

City:
    Mayfield Heights
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I am thinking that might be too much like adding a table to a drill press. Milling requires rigidity and mass. I think you might be disappointed, just as I was when I added a table to my drill press.

11. mattthemuppet

mattthemuppet Active User Active Member

City:
    Walla Walla
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

you're not going to shower yourself with chips using it, but a nice X-Y table from Grizzly or Enco would let you do some light milling. It'll certainly be better than no mill :)

My only worry would be how much height you'll have between spindle and table once you've put a table and perhaps a vise on the table?

Another way to look at it - this might work just fine until that cheap unappreciated small horizontal mill pops up on CL near you. Quick bit of fabrication later and you'll have a cool vertical/ horizontal mill :D

12. thomas s

thomas s United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Gloucester,MA
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

That is one cool machine. If you don't get a table for it I would use it as a drill press. thomas s

Uglydog and confederatemule like this.
  13. cjtoombs

cjtoombs United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

If that Bridgeport head is in good shape, you may be able to sell it for enough to get something that will work better as a mill than anything you can do with that. The suggestion to get a small horizontal mill and add that as a vertical head is also a good one. Someone else could probably look on ebay and find a Bridgeport in great shape missing a head for scrap metal price, but I don't have that kind of luck.

14. LEEQ

LEEQ United States Active User Active Member

City:
    cameron
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

I would look for a mill with no head or crapped out head for scrap money and marry your head to it. I believe it came off a m head Bridgeport so that would be the easiest match up. I saw a nice solid x/y table 17" x 10" with dovetail ways and lead screw for the low low price of 8oo bucks. That would be the most advisable style of table for what you have in mind, not cheap flimsy drill press x/y tables. Two options, for my money I would want a mill put together for less than the good x/y table if I already owned the head. :)) I like the horizontal mill idea! That would lend itself to fixing up a very versatile machine. A lot folks wind up selling horizontal machines for less than vertical ones.

15. Eddyde

Eddyde Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I concur, it's a shop made hybrid, bourn of Bridgeport head and unknown drill press base. While not a mill yet,
    the X-Y table will work and should give you as good results as any similarly sized mill/drill would. However, as mentioned above, your Z axis clearance looks like it will be very limited. To fix that, you could replace the column with a longer one, it should be a fairly standard size.

16. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Fantastic help everyone! I like the horizontal mill idea and the Bridgeport base idea. I need to start researching. Do you all agree that I have an M head?

17. Holescreek

Holescreek Active User Active Member

City:
    Centerville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Yep, an M head. I'm surprised it's not too top heavy the way it's set up. By the time you put an XY table under it there wouldn't be any room for anything else. I used to see headless Bridgeports on Ebay once and awhile, If that falls through, that head is worth around $200 by itself.

18. chips&more

chips&more United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Danville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Yes as stated, it’s a Bridgeport M head stuck on a little drill press base…interesting. If you are looking for just one milling machine. The “M” style head is not really the best choice. And if you want a Bridgeport, then probably a Series I with a J head would be the one. Maybe sell what you have and use that $ to help fund a real mill…Good Luck, Dave.

19. CluelessNewB

CluelessNewB Active Resistor H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Gorham
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

I'm about 99% sure the base and table are Walker Turner drill press parts. I believe they are probably from a WT 900 15".

20. Dave Smith

Dave Smith United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Rochester
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I would save it and if you find an atlas horizontal mill or other small horizontal mill you could use it for vertical convenience ----there also are good XY tables that could be mounted to the base----I saw a M head last year I offered $200 for but the owned wanted $450 and declined.---I have an atlas hor mill that I am converting to vertical ---hang onto it at least till you get a benchtop mill----use it for what it is---it is unique---Dave

Uglydog and confederatemule like this.
  21. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Lots of great advice everyone, I appreciate all the input.

Dave mentions that the M style head might not be the best - can you guys enlighten me about the M style and some of the other Bridgeport heads?

22. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Dave, any perticuar reason that I should consider Atlas?

Thanks a bunch,
    Carl

23. Dave Smith

City:
    Rochester
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

one thing the J head has better is it takes r8 collets and probably larger ---I'm not sure what the M head spindle takes---you could use yours with a crossslide rotary table and it would be very useful----search ebay for them --there are always some under $150

24. Dave Smith

City:
    Rochester
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Carl---I just thought I could have mounted it on my Atlas on the 1 1/2" support arm is why I made an offer on one--I think you could find a good cross-slide rotary table and just mount it on the lower base of your unit--usually with a rotary table you don't have to have much XY travel----Dave

25. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Thanks Dave, very helpful.

26. Eddyde

Eddyde Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Carl, What kinds work do you intend to mill? If its relatively small hobby stuff than that mill drill set up with an XY table will do just fine. at least to start. For years the only milling capacity I had was just a drill press with a shop made XY table, it certainly wasn't the most capable setup but it could do a lot.

27. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Hi Eddyde,

Yes small hobby stuff. ...and to learn on. I have a lot to learn about machining. :)

28. Holescreek

Holescreek Active User Active Member

City:
    Centerville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

The "M" or "Master Milling " head was the first head Bridgeport made. It is a great little milling head provided you don't want power feed for boring (it has a manual downfeed handwheel) and don't want to use a collet over 1/2" in diameter. M heads were made in 3 collet sizes with B&S#7 taper and M2 taper being the most common. Collets are sometimes hard to find and can be had in sizes up to 1/2". I used an M head exclusively for a few years and made my own end mill holders to accept up to 3/4" shanked end mills. The motor HP being limited at 1/2HP (or was it 3/4?) meant you had to be careful on deep cuts. My machine did amazing work but because I did a lot of boring I wanted the power downfeed spindle of a J head. I bought a J-head assembly and made an adapter to mount it to my M-head mill. I sold the M-head later on to someone that wanted to mount it on a horizontal mill.

brino likes this.
  29. cederholm

City:
    brooklyn
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Great overview on the M head, thank you for that. And thank you all for the wealth of information.

I think my current plan is to clean up the machine, buy a power inverter to get it running and go from there. If it runs well and is mostly complete a table will be in the near future and I'll keep on eye out for a Bridgeport base or a horizontal mill.

On that note!!! Can anyone share a photo of a vertical/horizontal hybrid? Preferably a home-built unit.

Thanks all!
    Carl

30. franklynb

franklynb United States Moderator Staff Member Moderator

-Return to Top-

Hate to be the "contrarian" :whiteflag: but someone should say it. And you asked: "what would I do?"....

If you have a maximat I'd expect the table and post for the M head to UNDERPERFORM what you already have!

There is no way you're going to transfer the ~1? HP of that head into that tiny table -- too little clamping; too little
    stiffness in the 2-1/2"? post; and you take a chance of flipping that tiny split clamp table right around the post every time
    you hit some hard spot in the material -- or mis-gauge your initial depth of cut guess!

It makes a nice quill for making counterbores/sinks. That's about it. Not enough post height to hold a standard drill and chuck.
    My Van Norman #12 frequently drives me a little crazy hunting for Z room and it has almost 7 inches between spindle and table!
    A 4" drill and ~2" chuck and adapter chew that up pretty quickly.

What good is a drill press where you have to dismount the part to get the drill out? Think about it!

So; trade it for a real drill press -- like a Delta 14" or 17" floor model -- making a nice combo with your Maximat. And "google
    is your friend"
    . A brief image search of 'cincinatti mill and bridgeport head' yields a fair amount of eye candy and info.
    No need to copy those images here! And the linked pages hold lots of beginner info and places to start your search.

You will quickly come to the conclusion that there is a reason these heads are mounted to a beefy table; reasonably spaced
    real "ways" and a stout column! This setup is of extremely limited use without these features. This is why people mash them
    up with old universal mills -- cheap real iron tables of stout design premise to match the HP of the head.

You wouldn't enjoy a 350hp V-8 stuffed into an MG Midget. Same deal here. The basis is too flimsy to make the package
    enjoyable. And if you're not doing this for the pure enjoyment .... nuff said.

I have two of that same drill press base and they cannot handle any side load to speak of. They're extremely useful with
    the 1/4hp belt drive motor and ~2" stroke quill that came with. Don't waste your money on
    an X-Y table -- only to discover its a dangerous idea as the part comes flying off with the table. Or the entire table cracks
    off the post at the clamp!

--frankb