Bench Master with Rotex vertical head.

Ironguy

Registered
Registered
I have a Bench Master to which is mounted a Rotex vertical head. The spindle on the Rotex has a double taper type Y collet on the nose. The threads on the spindle are in very bad shape. They work now but are very thin. Seeing as the type Y collets are just not that great at holding milling cutters I was thinking of converting the nose to ER20. The nut for the type Y is 1" X 14 the Nut for a ER20 is M24 X1.0P. Could anybody give me any ideas on this conversion. It seems it could work but I would not want to totally mess up the spindle if I can help it. I would probably send it out to grind the taper inside the spindle and thread the nose as I don't have the metric conversion gears for my Southbend 10K. I can give all the dimensions if anybody needs them. Thanks for any help.

Ironguy

I just bought a Benchmaster and I am interested in getting a vertical head. Any photos or info on the head you have would be helpful.
Mine has a shop made spindle and is not very good.
Thanks

I just bought a Benchmaster and I am interested in getting a vertical head. Any photos or info on the head you have would be helpful.
Mine has a shop made spindle and is not very good.
Thanks

My Rotex head looks just like the one on the right with no logo. PO added a quill lock on the left side just below the spindle speed chart, the original is in the back operated with a allen wrench. These are fairly rare good luck finding one. http://www.lathes.co.uk/rotex/

Back