Belts On G4003g

Hey Coolidge, perhaps I missed it but what did you use to seal the gap between the lathe feet and the chip pan?

Good morning - Hey what is the model number on the Baldor motor?

Thanks,
Woodrow

Hey Coolidge, perhaps I missed it but what did you use to seal the gap between the lathe feet and the chip pan?

Are you talking about the chip pan lip section I had to cut out to clear the motor electrical box?

Good morning - Hey what is the model number on the Baldor motor?

Thanks,
Woodrow

Here you go. IMPORTANT: The factory lathe motor is a freakish non-standard thing from a wiring perspective. It appears there's a relay/contactor inside the factory motor somewhere facilitating the forward/reverse operation.

To wire up this Baldor motor you will need to order a couple feet of power cord with 6 wires, I ordered mine from McMasterCarr. The good news is the G4003G still has the contactor lug U2 in the electrical cabinet that you need to wire up this motor, I guess from when Grizzly used a more standard motor. You will see this lug is un-used in the electrical cabinet. So you just need the 6 wire power cord from the lathe to the motor.

The 6 wires are for U1, U2, Z1, Z2, JBrown, and Ground wire. Come see me if you need assistance on the wiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about the chip pan lip section I had to cut out to clear the motor electrical box?

No sir. Just the sealant around the lathe feet. Looks like a very close match to the paint on both the lathe and chip pan.

Guys spend $26.99 and buy a Accu-link belt from Harbor Freight ($20.25 with a 25% off coupon). These belts are bad-ass your lathe will ware out before this polyurethane belt does. Also reduces vibration and can be sized by adding/removing links. Last I checked they are manufactured in the European Union. You only need 1 belt, its what I'm running on my G4003G.

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

http://www.jasonindustrial.com/pdf/Accu-Link Belting Bulletin2014.pdf

http://rubberproducts.jasonindustrial.com/viewitems/open-end-and-accu-link-belting/accu-link-belting

For future information I upgraded to this Baldor 2hp single phase motor $325 from my local motor shop.

Like some G4003G lathes after my lathe broke in (aprox 15 hours of run time) it loosened up and became susceptible to the high frequency buzz/hum the motor was injecting into the entire lathe resulting in pretty bad surface finish issues. I used 6 of these beast isolation mounts from McMaster, about $6 each and machined a new motor mount out of aluminum. Surface finish issues are gone, lathe runs smooth, quiet, a worthwhile improvement over the factory cast iron mount. The buzz/hum surface finish issue is not the motor, both the factory and this Baldor motor injects buzz/hum into the lathe, its Grizzly's poor motor mount design and the lack of motor isolation. This Baldor motor did get rid of the harmonic wha-wha-wha-whoo coming from the factory China motor and runs quieter.

I see that there are more than one belt profiles for these belts. Which one do I get, 3L, 4L ect.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on recommendations of Coolidge, I ordered the Accu-link belt today from Harbor freight.

Back