Belt Grinder

Nice looking grinder.
When I built mine, I opted for a Belt drive to keep the motor further away from the sanding belt to keep the metal dust from being sucked into it.

hey ddickey - please tell us of your construction and use experience - I'm sure I'm not the only one desperate for more dope on the Reeder grinder! A picture or 2 of your particular mounting wouldn't hurt (hint, hint! :wink:)

I currently have it mounted exactly like in this video. https://goo.gl/DWRRtu
Since then I've made a table for it just have not mounted it yet.
Overall I think it is a nice grinder but It has some annoyances I don't care for. Maybe all belt grinders are like this, IDK.
As per above the drilled holes being to narrow to mount the motor was an annoyance. When I called about it they did send some cap screws though to mount the motor.
When you tighten the table it kicks slightly to the side, no biggie just another annoyance. I made a new tool rest for it with a cut out for the belt so care needs to be taken so you don't ruin a belt.
When you make an angle adjustment on the tool rest it moves as you tighten it in place. So if you want a 15° you set the table at 17° tighten and it ends up at 15°.
The alignment of the belt on the wheels are all off. In order for the belt to run equal on the platen wheels the adjusting wheel is way over on one side. Also the driven wheel can not be pushed all the way onto the motor shaft.
Maybe all these things are normal, IDK.
My opinion at this time is I would not buy a grinder that has horizontal positioning capabilities. The mounting platform is just to small.
If I had to do it again I would by a Northridge Tool or a KMG.
Having said all that I'm very happy to finally have a grinder. Makes working in the shop so much more productive.
Also when grinding with moderate pressure the belt will slide off the wheels. I think this is operator error though having the belt a little to loose against the platen.

Last edited:
I read all of the belt grinder threads with great interest, I have a Grizzly RradiusMaster, a 2" x 48" vertical/horizontal belt grinder, sold at the time by Jancy, but sourced out of Australia. I love the tool, can't imagine being without it.

http://www.radiusmaster.com.au/

Back