Belt Grinder

Anyone have an opinion on the Reeder Grinder?
Looks like a very good design. Almost as good as my own. (Mostly kidding. I just have the option of more arms and of different sizes for whatever I want to add down the road. If I ever complete the dumb thing...)

His explanation of yield strength at the beginning really bothered me, though. I don't doubt that his machine is plenty strong, but yield strength is not the point when a material starts to deflect.

I would need to see it at my house and use it for a few (years) to make an accurate assessment. nice looking belt sander bill

Looks like an innovative design. I checked their website out and found that their pricing appeared quite attractive as compared to a KMG for example. But then I discovered that it did not include any of the wheels. I could not check out the accessories pricing due to website gremlins.

I personally prefer a belt drive versus a direct drive but this appears to be a very nice machine. It would be interesting to know what one really costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at their videos, you'd be very hard pressed to make a better one in your shop. I can't compare them to a KMG -I'd have to use both 'in anger' to make any determination about that. Price is appropriate for all the machining involved. Don't worry about his inaccurate explanation: 1/2" aluminum plate is plenty strong enough to resist a fair amount of bending moment.

I have a 6X48 belt sander I've been using for 35 years; I've been tempted to the 2X72 'dark side of the sander' for a few years now, but yet to make the leap...

If anyone here buys one I'd be really interested in your experience!

One question for those of you who might have a belt grinder.
I notice the platen angle adjusts. When grinding tool bits would you adjust the angle of the platen or the angle of the tool rest?

One question for those of you who might have a belt grinder.
I notice the platen angle adjusts. When grinding tool bits would you adjust the angle of the platen or the angle of the tool rest?
Or the angle of the guide on the tool rest? It basically comes down to what makes the most sense for a specific operation. Angling the rest too far will make it awkward in some situations as it will be more vertical than horizontal, while better in others because that could give you a better view of the leading edge. I'm incorporating both types in my own.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but... I *never* use a rest to grind the angles on a tool bit or when sharpening a drill. It takes patience to learn, but the result is worth it to learn how to freehand a 5 degree relief on a tool bit. For the anal retentive, there's always a toolmakers protractor to check the result... The tool bit works just as well with a 4,5 or 6 degree angle!

( once you get the knack, it is a *lot* faster)

That is certainly one use for these grinders, but far from the only consideration.

I have a 6X48 belt sander I've been using for 35 years; I've been tempted to the 2X72 'dark side of the sander' for a few years now, but yet to make the leap...

If anyone here buys one I'd be really interested in your experience!

I fall into this category. My 6x48 is a nice machine but I think it is intended to be used on wood and not metal. Mine has only seen metal it's whole life and the only problem I've had is the switch needed replacing, metal grit shorted it out after 15 years.

I still want to build a 2x72 grinder and the one in the OP looks to be a very nice design.

Back