Belt Drive

Cobra

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
i am building a tool post grinder.
I am using a 5/8 hp router as the motor to drive the spindles.
Looking at using either a 2v belt or a round belt for the drive.
Any thoughts on the options?
Thanks
Jim

I believe the round belt provides a much smoother operation than a v belt. A v belt is much stiffer at the seam and you can feel it as it goes around the pulleys. and that will show up in the finish of the work.

Harbor Freight sells small (4" round) replacement V belts for rock tumblers they sell. You can probably turn them inside out and run them on their back, for less friction.

Lots of places sell round belting, made for watchmakers lathes and accessories. you order a roll and make any size belt you require.

I can get either the small bee belts or the round belts in selected sizes at McMaster Carr.
Just looking for advise on the direction to go.
I suppose I could make pullies for each size but would like to have some indication of a direction to start from.
Thanks guys.

I have used a dumore TPG and they use round belts . And so does The motorized whirly we used on the surface grinder .

My vintage Dumore uses a flat belt.

Greg

My WWII vintage Dumore also has a flat belt. Might check on vacuum cleaner belts at walmart >

Here's a style of belt that K O Lee used on their tool & cutter grinders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GATES-5...387841?hash=item2a53e8bc01:g:nLMAAOSwjVVVnYSI

It runs very smooth and quite. The belt has steel wires in it for higher torque and fast RPM's. Depending on the pulley sizes used, can provide up to near 1 HP. My K O Lee has a 1/2 HP 3450 RPM motor and haven't yet bogged it down. The pulleys/sheaves are a 60 degree vee with a width of 3/16 at the top, maybe a 1/32 radius at the bottom.

Ken

Cobra whats the RPM on that router? Typically they are 10,000 to 20,000 that seems way too fast for a belt.

Speed of the router will be between 4000 and 8000 using a speed reducer.
The un-regulated speed of the router measures at 29000.

Back