Before after pics of an Alexander Master Toolmaker Mill

Beautiful job! That machine looks like she came off the assembly floor.

Someone been trying to sell this machine on CL in Tucson . I thought some of you might appreciate it.
DECKEL FP1 Horizontal Milling Machine - $2000 hide this posting
image 1 of 23
00X0X_kdembgIqTEg_600x450.jpg

Is yours 4MT and what sort of tool holders are you using if it is??? I got a few bits like shell mill arbor , clarkson chuck with a few collets,etc... all MT4 . Also the collet adapter and a few collets with the 20mm x 2 thread.
Heres a photo of the only bits i got with mine ,some bits i dont know what they are for such as the round flat (faceplates???) with the slots across.
I did get the original manual with notes on it telling the date it was made/sold and who to(a watch and aircraft clock/dial making company called Louis Newmark).

Cool that you got some history on the machine as well. I do not recognize what those round flat plates with the slots may be??

My machines are #40 taper and I have stuck with the S20x2 thread (I have a 5/8-11 drawbar but it has never been used). It has taken me some searching, but I have U2 collets from 1/8th to 5/8 x 1/16ths (seems to be the standard imperial set) and the SK40 collets 1/8 to 1" x 1/8th and a few sub arbors and the horizontal arbors. I like having the collets right up inside the spindle and use one of the collet arrangements almost exclusively - head room is precious on such a small machine (I often end up cutting drill bits to use with the drill chuck or reduce the shank to the nearest collet). I would like to fill out my U2 collets x1/32nds, but those have been hard to find. I don't have any tooling for the slotter (other than a scriber I made for engraving lines) - I'm not even sure what slotter tooling would look like.

Do you like the Clarkson holder? I have one for my other machine, but the threaded shank end mills are less common around here.

Very interesting. I wish the far east cloners would have considered copying that particular format of mill. Well.. maybe with some more prevalent arbor standards as a small ask :). It would sure make for a kick butt & versatile hobby machine, that's for sure.

Very interesting. I wish the far east cloners would have considered copying that particular format of mill. Well.. maybe with some more prevalent arbor standards as a small ask :). It would sure make for a kick butt & versatile hobby machine, that's for sure.

They have. You can probably still get Deckel knock offs. I think there have been quite a few machine makers in Tiawan, China and any number of other countries in asia making this style of machine - often with some sort of German affiliation. If you go to their web sites it is often hard to tell where the machines are made (perhaps a German company and "Head office" address in Germany, with "international" affiliates). Of course you can still get the German offering, but they are very proud of it (cost you about 20x Grizzly's finest).

Beautiful restoration!

Are you certain of the Morse taper? Brown and Sharpe taper?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Really nice piece of work Bob, sort of mill I'm hunting for too...
Quick question, I'm told the early Alexanders had pickoff gears to set feed rates, looks like yours has a second 'box in the column? Any idea when/if they swapped over?

Dave H. (the other one)

Great restoration, how did you clean the machined surfaces so well
I'm about to start a total restoration on the Palls mill
Cheers

MILL.jpg

@bob135

I guess I'm a little late to this thread, but I just had to say what an amazing job you've done restoring that mill!

Thanks for sharing the photos.
-brino

Back