Beefing Up Pm-1236 Cabinet Base : Options ?

tino_ale

Active User
Registered
Hey all,

As it is now, my lathe in on the stock cabinet, which have 4 feet on each columns. Each feet is approx 12cm high, and I like the working height that I have coz I'm tall, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of rigidity and steadyness.

I'm reviewing my options to stiffen the whole setup and reduce the numer of feet to 4 instead of 8.

1. Minimum measure
That would be create a base like seen here :
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/another-pm1236-install.22799/

A - I'm a little concerned about how this base can accept torsion and thus allow leveling of the lathe.
So if I go that route, I would probably make two independant bases, one for each column.
B - Alternatively, I am also exploring the option to bolt steel plates under each column, extending past the cabinet both at the front and rear, and with a center feet (one at the back, one at the front).

In both solutions, I have 4 feet instead of 8 and it spreads them about two-fold compared to the rather silly stock base feet placement.

2. Minimum plus
Do one of the above + anchor the 4 feet in to concrete slabs like seen here :

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/th...pport-Torsional-stiffness?p=552197#post552197

3. Have a complete stand fabricated from higher gauge steel tubes

I would have to make the design (???) and have it fabricated ($$$)

4. Make a complete stand from concrete.
I would have to make the design (???) and make it (time...)

Now my questions :
- any reason I should go 1A rather than 1B ?
- is #2 much better than just #1 ?
- if I go 1B, how thick should they be ? Each column is 36cm deep and I plan 50cm plates. So they would extend something like 6cm at the front, 8cm at the back. Obviously they woud be bolted to the cabinet's holes which are rather at the center. Feet would not be very far out... Would 1/2" thick do ? I'm concerned about the cost of the plates.

Thanks for all your inputs and experience

Instead of making two independant bases, one for each column, make four independent supports. In the picture below, each section of square tubing is independent of the others. The tubing adds rigidity and extends the rear supports further back for a larger footprint. Since they're not tied together, adjustment isn't adversely affected. And the threaded rods allow you to adjust the height to where you want it. Note: The threaded rods for the front supports go up inside the cabinet... although I have to admit I made mine just a tad too long :)

PM-1236.jpg

Back