Bed extension for HF 7X10

gwstoneb

Registered
Registered
Hi and greetings from Arkansas
I have been considering purchasing a kit from LMS to extend the bed , and lead screw for my HF7X10 mini lathe to a 7X14. It looks like a pretty straight forward undertaking, but before I commit I would like to hear from someone that has already done it or has some experience, with it.
Any Pros or cons will be appreciated.
Thanks George

It is a straight-forward affair. The instructions are spot-on. The most critical thing is getting the lead screw alignment before drilling and tapping. If I can remember, it took several hours to disassemble, mount and reassemble. While you are doing it, you might as well do all the other upgrades to the lathe you have wanted (top adjustable saddle gibs, gear cover for the apron)

Here is the lathe I am selling with the bed extension. The chuck mounted is the 4" 3-jaw with adapter plate from LMS as well.

Enco_lathe_1.jpg

Enco_lathe_2.jpg

Thanks AzizaVFR
It looks like a nice rig, I wasn't too concerned about the hole drilling, and tapping, for the bed, but I was wondering if there was any difficulty in mounting the Leadscrew and making sure it didn't bind or engage poorly. One thing I am able to do is read, comprehend and follow directions, if they are clearly written, and you seem to applaud the instructions for the conversion, and that is worth a lot.
Thanks for sharing your info and for the great pictures.
If anyone else wants to add anything please feel free
Thanks
George

I did it to mine, too. Also found the instructions decent, and got it done in about 3 hours. This is a worthwhile conversion which allows use of larger diameter drills (long), and just a generally more user frendly space to work with - along with the ability to make longer parts. Good value for the money.

Tom

Back