Bed & Bore Mill gets a machine addition!

Hi, nice grab, I just saw that come up for sale, you jumped right on it. Good job. I just picked one up myself. Been looking for a long time. When you start your rehab pay close attention to the inside mechanism, it will drive you nuts, out and in! By the way, don't listen to them guys, that cabinet dos not fit in your layout. I'll take it off your hands, and save you some room!
Buggsy

Great score on the shaper. I'd keep the stand around till you try it on the scissor lift. The reciprocating mass of the ram needs to be restrained. I had to anchor the Logan stand to the floor to hold it in place when you brought the strokes per minute up.

Greg

I've been watching for one of these to pop up for ages now. Really pumped to have found a South Bend 7" Shaper to add to my machine collection and shop. Everything seems to slide nicely, though it needs a good cleanup. I plan a full restoration anyway, as I have no immediate need to use it. It currently has a 3 Ph motor installed, which I'll remove in favor of a single phase unit I have laying around. This thing won't see enough action to warrant purchasing a VFD, and I think they came with a 1/2 HP 120V motor from the factory anyway. No vice was included, and I think the clapper box is missing a part or two. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, it's all intact. Woohoo! New project!

IMG_3308_zpsnl05ynjz.jpg

IMG_3312_zpss1z19usx.jpg

IMG_3309_zpsjcasbkbe.jpg

IMG_3310_zps0xkddpaf.jpg

IMG_3311_zpsiabm3xno.jpg

Unloading sure was easier than my mill!!
IMG_3313_zps3s4kb13r.jpg

IMG_3314_zpsgpw9jrae.jpg

You might be wondering where in the world this will fit in my small shop. For one thing, does it matter? Like everyone of you would- I'll find a spot. Ha! But in fact I do have an idea. This whole cabinet is going away. That cabinet group never panned out quite how I thought it would. Instead, I want to build out a four post table to match the height of the rest of my benches. I will store the shaper on a HF scissor cart, which I'm hoping is rigid enough to use the shaper on as a stand. This will be nice because it can be lowered to the floor and stowed when not needed, and then brought out and lifted up to operational height when desired. The SB stand will be sold, as I have no room or need for it.
DSC_3900_rdc_zpsmxaqn58e.jpg
I like your shop . I have a 7" Southbend Shaper
Just like yours .
I just got mine bolted to the floor good and leveled
I recommend you bolt it and sucure it good to the floor . I don't see any thing missing on your clapper
Box but the tool holders . And you can get them
Easy enough .
I have been tying to figure out how to post pictures . But have not figured it out yet

Thanks everyone! I really am pumped about this thing. I saw MrPete222 is going to be releasing a video series on making a height gage. The shaper sure would be a nice way to make that base!

I've been watching for one of these to pop up for ages now. Really pumped to have found a South Bend 7" Shaper to add to my machine collection and shop. Everything seems to slide nicely, though it needs a good cleanup. I plan a full restoration anyway, as I have no immediate need to use it. It currently has a 3 Ph motor installed, which I'll remove in favor of a single phase unit I have laying around. This thing won't see enough action to warrant purchasing a VFD, and I think they came with a 1/2 HP 120V motor from the factory anyway. No vice was included, and I think the clapper box is missing a part or two. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, it's all intact. Woohoo! New project!

IMG_3308_zpsnl05ynjz.jpg

IMG_3312_zpss1z19usx.jpg

IMG_3309_zpsjcasbkbe.jpg

IMG_3310_zps0xkddpaf.jpg

IMG_3311_zpsiabm3xno.jpg

Unloading sure was easier than my mill!!
IMG_3313_zps3s4kb13r.jpg

IMG_3314_zpsgpw9jrae.jpg

You might be wondering where in the world this will fit in my small shop. For one thing, does it matter? Like everyone of you would- I'll find a spot. Ha! But in fact I do have an idea. This whole cabinet is going away. That cabinet group never panned out quite how I thought it would. Instead, I want to build out a four post table to match the height of the rest of my benches. I will store the shaper on a HF scissor cart, which I'm hoping is rigid enough to use the shaper on as a stand. This will be nice because it can be lowered to the floor and stowed when not needed, and then brought out and lifted up to operational height when desired. The SB stand will be sold, as I have no room or need for it.
DSC_3900_rdc_zpsmxaqn58e.jpg
What a great and lucky find a beautiful little shaper. If only, ah, but I don't have the room, and a mill would be higher on the I wish list and I don't have room for that either. But if I did have it, I would keep the stand, it would look naked without that lovely stand.

It also occurs to me that there ar quite a lot of reciprocating forces going on when a shaper is running, so I would be wary of putting it on wheels.

You guys... you guys.... sure, I'll put the stand in the already crowded garage somewhere, but seriously? I posted a picture of my shop. Where, pray tell, do you suggest I put that giant stand in my tiny shop?? There's a big difference between desire versus reality! Here in the real world, if I want that shaper in my shop, it won't be able to be on that stand.

Now granted I don't have any actual experience of running the machine in real life, but I have watched a boatload of YouTube videos, and I don't think the 7" shaper is going to give me any problems on the harbor freight scissor cart. Unless operating at top speed, it doesn't appear to really rock around at all. If I find that movement is a problem, I can always brace it against my mill or benches.

Maybe I'm just being naïve, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Ok, I admit it; you guys might have won this battle. Due to a space issue, I recently needed to move the shop press out into the garage in order to work on some 11' long pieces of steel flat stock. Today I was getting ready to move the shop press back into the machine shop and I started to wonder... Never a good thing.

As much work as I knew it would be, I muscled the shaper into the house, through the living space, and into the bedroom shop. It is admittedly not as cramped feeling as I expected and I suspect it will feel even a small bit less cramped when the machine is sitting 7" lower when on the floor. I really REALLY hate to lose the shop press, as it has proved such a handy item to have, but the shaper does look pretty good here, doesn't it!

DSC_3902_rdc_zpsbjhlccrt.jpg

DSC_3904_rdc_zpsdbg56kh7.jpg

DSC_3905_rdc_zps1llgkgmr.jpg

DSC_3907_rdc_zpsvtnywtqf.jpg

I'm still undecided. If I put the shaper on a HF scissor cart, then I can have both the shop press and the shaper at the same time. But leaving it on the stand- I get a far more substantial base, and it becomes a more integral machine in the shop...

Yup, I like it, looks great. I agree with the more substantial base, and keeping it complete, and drawers for storage too!
Your dog looks just like one that was my companion for 14 years, I mean almost identical, black face, narrow waist with muscular back legs too. Mine was deep chested and could run all day. Her name was Dingo, I sure miss her.

Thanks! He's a Belgian Malinois that I rescued four years ago. I also have a Border Collie mix rescue as well.

IMG_2761_zpsfdbybox6.jpg

Back