Bearing substitution

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
Are these:

a substitute in every way for these:

The latter (and hopefully, presumably the former) are replacements for the Grizzly 4" x 8" micro lathe (G0745). Axminister (UK) also has an equivalent. All models are known to the manufacturer as the Sieg C0.

Same Timken part number so, yeah, it's the exact same bearing. It's not a substitute. It's just a different seller. Not even a question about it.

The bearings are the same specification, but I don't see any indication who the manufacturer is for the bearing from Arc Euro Trade. Since they don't say, I'd bet it's Chinese.
Ted

Not quite enough info. Bearings have different tolerance classes ABEC 1,3, 5, 7. Neither bearing states it. Probably means ABEC 1. Usually width tolerance on ABEC 1 bearings is like +.1 mm -0 Pretty coarse.
Also bearings are available with different amounts of internal clearance.

Direct like for like and Timken are better than the chinesium bearing from Arc.

The TRB's they offer for the C3/SC3 are far from comparible to Timken or SKF.

As to the C0, how good is that baby lathe?

Even the linked timken bearing was ABEC1.

You may wish to find ABEC3 bearings

Most standard stamped steel cage bearings like those listed above will be ABEC1 or ABEC 3. Higher precision which allows for greater speed, needs a different type of cage . In the old days, a machined bronze or brass, or more recently phenolic. The increase in precision is due to better concentricity between the inner and outer which allow for tighter clearance. A high quality spindle bearing will be C1 or C2 with a machined cage. Dave

Here are some better bearings…
SKF 6003 JEM, C3 Deep Groove Ball Bearing, 6003JEM

Here are some better bearings…
SKF 6003 JEM, C3 Deep Groove Ball Bearing, 6003JEM

"Thats nice"..... (A'La Mrs brown, Mrs Browns Boys) LOL

A question for the OP @skogkatt007 on something.. Is it possible to go with 7003AW Angular contact bearings rather than a standard race? If going to the trouble to replace, is it not worth doing an upgrade on the bearings since you are pulling the originals anyway?

Last edited:
I don't have a Sieg C0. What I do have is a Unimat 3 bed (arguably compatible with the C0), a spindle from a C0, and a gaggle of compatible chucks. Oh and 2 aluminum blocks I hope to be able to turn into a headstock and tailstock.

I've been mulling over this project for a few years. I only need a bearing into which I can push the C0 spindle.

I originally was goimg.to use only a drill press @nd files to complete this. Recently I said screw that and will be using a lathe and mill.

Back