Bc ames mill bench top

It looks like it could have originally been a horizontal mill as well. Those parts seem to be missing. Perhaps in wartime they only installed what was needed for the specific kind of production work it was equipped to do. It looks tiny but cute, judging by the oil can size in the pic. Tooling? Collet type? See it work?

I looks like it has a universal table, too. I'd buy it for the asking price if I was looking for a little mill. You'll be able to resell and get your money back if it turns out you don't like it. The horizontal mill functionality could be rebuilt whenever you get around to it.

View attachment 233495 does anyone have pros and cons for this as hobby mill?1942 made.between 500 -700$
00v0v_6z7p2747RJJ_1200x900.jpg i never used or owned a mill,for that matter a lathe either,i bought the south bend lathe from this fellow and saw this mill and a surface grinder,the lathe a model c is very good ,and cheap!350.00.if you could point out what i would see for myself after owning it a while,like its short comings?i would appreciate your candor,it would only b e for hobby use .thanks also the head is a Bridgeport.

Last edited:
I just meant that after using it for awhile you would know whether or not it suits your needs. Looking at the larger pic I think that's a Bridgeport C head which I don't think has a quill and also may use odd collets. A quill is nice to have if you want to do any drilling or boring. There also appears to be very little space between the end mill and the vise, which would limit you to working on small things.

Way cool mill , depending on the parts you want to make I think you will be happy with it . Maybe a drill press to supplement .

Yes that looks like a universal table which would make it very handy for cutting certain types of gears...
Mark S.

Most of the important horizontal parts except for an overarm support and an arbor seem to be there, judging by the second pic you posted. The table looks like it will go down further, and the mill vise swivel base could be removed (semi permanently if it was mine) to get more headroom under the spindle. It would be good to know which Bridgeport head is on it, some of them are fairly rare, and some have very expensive and a bit difficult to find collets to fit them. If it comes with a good selection of collets, they you should be OK. Speaking of which, what else comes with the mill besides what we can see in the pics? Also, I second the thought that you will miss not having a quill for drilling and boring holes...

Depending on what you want to do with it should be your deciding factors. It looks to be well made , it could be used in some ways other mills cannot at least not that cheap. If I had the money and wanted a hobby mill only I'd snap it up . It's made so you can cut Splines even angled or spirAled. Most mills can't do that . For that reason alone I'd buy it.

Back