Basket case wheelbarrow project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
My neighbor was cleaning up his yard and dropped off a basket case project wheelbarrow
with all the hardware in the tray along with an unusable wheel and tire and no handles.
Thankfully most of the parts were there so it looked interesting to me. The replacement
handles at the hardware store looked pretty substandard to me so decided to custom
make a pair myself out of a chunk of red oak I had laying around. The bottom of
the wheelbarrow needed a little metal filled in the area where the bolt holes were
so I cut out some pieces from an old TV set that had pretty good steel in the mounting
base. I gas welded in the new pieces using my acetylene gas welder along with
one other small hole and a few pin holes. The tire was beyond repair so I used
a tube and another 4.00x8 tire I had removed from a boat trailer. It was worn but
plenty good enough to run on a wheelbarrow. :eagerness:

It was a lot of work but the final product was better than I had expected so quite
happy with the result. I intend to take good care of it and not leave it out in
the weather all season in the weather and snow/rain.

Here's a couple of photos. My only regret is that I didn't take a photo of the
wheelbarrow in as received condition as a basket case.:rolleyes:

P1030696.JPG
Here it is all together with a coat of paint. P1030698.JPG
This is the tire I used. The good part is that it was essentially free and worn so that it won't track dirt into the shop when hauling in a load of wood for the stove.

Thanks for reading along.

P1030699.JPG
I used my home made band saw to cut up some red oak for the handles. After some trim up work on the table saw, they looked pretty
nice. The handle end was hewn with a hand plane as that is all I had at my disposal. After some sanding, I was quite satisfied with
the result.

I'm a great believer in some "over building" rather than"cheaping out" only to suffer failure later. Those are some nice handles!
How about some more about that bandsaw?

I'm a great believer in some "over building" rather than"cheaping out" only to suffer failure later. Those are some nice handles!
How about some more about that bandsaw?
If you look in my members projects page under "Cathead" there is a post called "Shed builds using home made band saw"
that gives a lot of information on the saw. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I think the posting is
on the third page of listings back.

Back