Basic questions about mini lathe choice

Yeah, I highly recommend shimming the carriage. The other easy thing that will get you a lot of miles is making a chip guard for the apron gears. Just a small piece of plexiglass and some screws, but it reduces a lot of annoyance.

Thanks DMS. Do you have a photo that shows the apron? Sounds like something I should have done before making a mess :)

Did it come with metric or SAE leadscrew?

The chip guard for the apron can be done when you have it apart for shimming. It covers one side of the gibs anyway.

I would suggest thin aluminum over plexiglass. I made mine out of too thin sheet plastic (think like overhead transparency film) and really need to make a new one next time I tear things down.

Ohh, I see you got a QCTP as well.

It's SAE lead screw. Not very helpful for all the Japanese bikes I work on! Threading is not my priority though (which seems odd in this community), so it's fine. My buddy has the metric lead screw on his - he bought it as a replacement, so I am assuming that I could do the same when/if the time comes.

I will definitely have to get that cover going when I do the shims. Sounds like a good preventative mod.

Got the QCTP from LMS in preparation for the lathe's arrival. I was a little disappointed to find the allen size for the tool holder set screws is standard, although the large bolt on top to secure the main post to the slide is metric??? I thought I was going crazy - and would have stripped the things, if I hadn't stopped myself and tied a standard wrench. I literally have 10 metric sets floating around the shop (and countless singles), and only 1 incomplete set of standard sizes. Happened to have the right one, thankfully (7/32 or some such).

Well, the metric cap screw for the toolpost matches the metric thread on the cross slide. I really don't like the tiny set screws in the A2Z holders. When I made the extra holders I made for mine, I used cap screws with larger heads.

I don't think the metric leadscrew is as much of an issue as long as you are not making really long threads. The percentage error when making metric threads with SAE leadscrew is pretty small. I actually prefer working in metric for most things. I had converted my lathe to metric back when it was 7x10 but the bed kit came with the 16tpi leadscrew and stayed with it as I have been really sick of paying the premium price for metric fasteners.

I just live with multiple sets of Allen wrenches. I really don't even think of them as numeric sizes most times. My sets are color coded and the toolpost screw is Brown, the cross slide screws are Yellow, the change gears have 2 Yellow and one Blue. The tool holders use the White from the other set. :)

It's funny that the A2Z would be bouncing between metric and standard. Why not stay consistent? It's literally the only standard size fastener on the whole lathe ive encountered so far.

I wanted the color coded T-Handles - but they didn't have them at harbor freight when my buddy grabbed me a set - so I have the gray with the non-ball end on the perpendicular side. Don't love them honestly.

Victor Machinery Exchange is in Brooklyn. Nice people to work with. I have been to their old and new(Brooklyn) locations a number of times. They will have shim stock and other stuff you'll need. Tell them George Wilson from Williamsburg sent you. Mark,the owner knows me.

Been there many times. Super nice people, super slow process if you don't call ahead :)

EDIT: Sorry George, just realized you are in Williamsburg, VA. I am in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, along with Victor's Machinery :)

You don't happen to to be the same George wilson from the band Dirty on Purpose???

Last edited:
Back