• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Barrel fluting

killswitch505

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
any of y'all doing any barrel fluting? I'm looking at picking up a rotary table what would be best a 6" or 8"? I think 6" would to the job and be easier to move around any input would be great.

dlane

Active User
This is a 8" vertex , I made the fixture plate from mi6 ? I think, the dowell pin in center is removable and used to center table under spindle, also to center a chuck that bolts to plate.
IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG

killswitch505

Thanks for the response y'all.

Holescreek, looks like you're using a ball end mill? 1/4"?

killswitch505

Very cool holescreek!!! What caliber? And what's up with that chassis pretty interesting.

killswitch505

I really dig the mouser action love the control round feed. I've been contemplating picking up a CZ reproduction and building something cool

derf

You don't need a rotary table or an indexer to flute a barrel. I made up some hex nuts for both ends of the barrel and use them for indexing. Clamp the barrel down directly to the mill table, use a coupla 5/8" dowels pressed snuggly into the T slots for a locating stops, and another positive stop on the end of the barrel.
Don't use a ball endmill....it will walk. Use a horizontal type cutter.

killswitch505

You don't need a rotary table or an indexer to flute a barrel. I made up some hex nuts for both ends of the barrel and use them for indexing. Clamp the barrel down directly to the mill table, use a coupla 5/8" dowels pressed snuggly into the T slots for a locating stops, and another positive stop on the end of the barrel.
Pretty interesting I've seen a few YouTube videos with it done similar. I'm wanting to pick up rotary table for other projects. Im definitely leaning towards the saw style cutter

Reeltor

Active User
I agree, use a horizontal cutter to get a glass smooth flute in the barrel. As a bonus the flute will taper at each end, I like the look.

Gilbh

Swarf
Registered Member
Do you have any pictures of your setup I would love to see how you did it

Container Above bottom breadcrumb