Barnes Lathe

S

Stu

Forum Guest
Register Today
Looking at the few items I've read my new/old lathe is either a 5.5 or 6. Nothing on the upper portion of the legs have a number and there are no bosses indicating it was ever a treadle. The over all length is nearly 70 inches, swing over the bed is about 8.5 " and is has 4 speeds. All of this says 6. Now this is interesting part. It has only one lead screw and one keyed shaft under the way. The lead screw and shaft are engaged by a small notched lever in the head (fwd/reverse/neutral). By lifting the handle on the apron the feed starts but lowering the handle and tightening a knob the feed is engaged at a much slower rate in the same direction. What have I got please tell me. With it came several tools, change gears, a large 4 jaw, several cutting tools, six tool holders, steady rest, misc. stuff. Whether this was a deal or not is of no consequence I would just like to know what I bought. It is in excellent condition. A reversing motor was mounted. Original color was green.
Any info would be appreciated

revised edition
6 inches over the bed and 66 inches long. 8 in four jaw chuck. No indication of how it was powered and no numbers on the legs.

Resized_20161206_111542.jpeg

so, here it is. My Barnes lathe. The skates are just for moving. Which model? I really have no use for it. Must say it runs smoother then a child's finger in a kittens ass. Quiet, the motor makes more noise.

Back