Barnes 4 1/2 lathe

There I was, just minding my own business yesterday, when suddenly a lathed darted out of the bushes and jumped into the back of my truck ;). It was scared, dirty and injured, so I did the right thing and brought it home, gave it a bath and fed it some oil.

The old bugger is a Barnes 4 1/2, originally human powered lathe, missing some major parts, but ran quietly with the redneck motor swap. It would be quite an endeavor to restore it back to the velocipede drive, but I think I will make some repairs to get it operating normally. At least I saved the legs from being stolen to create some kind of hipster/steampunk furniture.

Here is a video of it running:

Shortly after that I took it completely down to the ways with the legs still attached so that I could assess what needs to be repaired, replaced or found. My wife was less than thrilled that I got another lathe, but she did think it was neat looking and liked the color (WHEW!)

If anyone happens to have some reasonably priced drive parts, I might consider returning it to human power so let me know by PM. Otherwise, what I have found that will need repair or replacement, I most likely will be able to machine replacements, but some of the cast parts and gears might be easier to just find replacements.

If you have one of these, feel free to chime in and show off what you have, I never knew these existed until I found it, but they are a neat piece of history.

Mark
lol, I hate when that happens

This pic is a bit cluttered, only one on my iPad. I think this is the size bigger. Came out with countershaft, so I think it was originally flat belt drive. Changed out the motor. Auction yahoo broke the nice cast leg. I nickel welded it, strong but ugly. Power crossfeed and chuck missing. I ordered a 11/2 x 8 chuck. It is not. Maybe 7 TPI. It’s a really cute but not very useful little lathe.

Attachments

• B7D602DB-7204-4D4D-9F0B-C5A168B616F9.jpeg
    B7D602DB-7204-4D4D-9F0B-C5A168B616F9.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
This pic is a bit cluttered, only one on my iPad. I think this is the size bigger. Came out with countershaft, so I think it was originally flat belt drive. Changed out the motor. Auction yahoo broke the nice cast leg. I nickel welded it, strong but ugly. Power crossfeed and chuck missing. I ordered a 11/2 x 8 chuck. It is not. Maybe 7 TPI. It’s a really cute but not very useful little lathe.
Useful depends on it's potential use. A little lathe will be useful to me, I have access to a bigger one at work. .... but yes, it's cute. Otherwise my wife would have complained about me buying it.

Some photos pre-clean. Where the motor attaches is where there is now a break in the cast iron.barnestrademe3.jpgBarnestrademe.jpg

Last edited:
A lathe that size would be very useful. Miine is not because the chuck is barely threaded on, only 2 feed speeds speed because I don't have the gear set, lantern tool post. I've been meaning to make something useful on it just to justify the floor space. I was thinking last week when the Bridgeport arrived the little lathe needed to go.

Back