Bardons & Oliver #5

Once you get all the old (nasty) grease and rust cleared away, you should have a wonderful addition. I've recently found how handy a turret lathe is.

That is quite the chunk of iron. Just out of curiosity, would you mind saying what you paid for it? Should be a nice machine with a little TLC. Congrats on your purchase. Mike

Nice find. Old school cnc. Fun to watch too. The B&O are not as common as some others, but just as capable and sized better for smaller shops.

I bought a smaller B&O once for $800, got it into the garage and started cleaning it up, then had to move so sold it for $500. Ouch!!

I would have expected more tooling for it, box and threading tools for the turret. The tooling can get pretty expensive. There are some old books by Warner & sweasy on how to set up and run these things, B&O manual is pretty skimpy. Also the old tooling catalogs are pretty interesting, if you can find one.

If you do not mind me asking, do you actually have work for such a turret lathe?

That is quite the chunk of iron. Just out of curiosity, would you mind saying what you paid for it? Should be a nice machine with a little TLC. Congrats on your purchase. Mike

I don't mind. My memory is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure it was $800. Included the tooling shown in the pictures at the start of the thread.

Nice find. Old school cnc. Fun to watch too. The B&O are not as common as some others, but just as capable and sized better for smaller shops.

I bought a smaller B&O once for $800, got it into the garage and started cleaning it up, then had to move so sold it for $500. Ouch!!

I would have expected more tooling for it, box and threading tools for the turret. The tooling can get pretty expensive. There are some old books by Warner & sweasy on how to set up and run these things, B&O manual is pretty skimpy. Also the old tooling catalogs are pretty interesting, if you can find one.

There is actually a tooling catalog on the B&O website and it is interesting. It shares some basics as the Warner & Swasey. I'm pretty sure the tooling bolt pattern for the turret is the same. I have a small Hardinge too and the tooling for the smaller one is pricey but I have found the pricing for the larger one to be reasonable. Doesn't make sense other than the smaller ones are more popular. I've bought several large turret tools for the $15 to $30 range. Soon as I get a chance I'll post some pics of that stuff too. Most people probably don't want to sacrifice all the floor space for a large turret lathe in their home shop and any new "real" shop would probably rather have a CNC.

If you do not mind me asking, do you actually have work for such a turret lathe?

Don't mind at all. No, I do not have enough work to justify it. I'm in a pocket of the country where tools don't come up for sale often and this one was less than a mile from my house and the price was OK. Good news is the turret can lock so if I can adapt a center to go in one of the turret holes I can use it as a regular lathe. Power feed in both directions on the carriage and when they were new you could get a three/four jaw chuck for it. I'll probably never find an original but a small chuck on a straight shank backing plate would chuck up into the bar collet and probably work just fine. The collets go up to 2 1/2" and I rarely do anything larger than that so it's probably not going to be necessary.

On the other hand, I do have a few things I want to make on it and am constantly looking for more. Hopefully it will prove to be useful.

Excellent, where I work we have a WS turret lathe that is 5" through the spindle, one can rough out some bloody great holes with that machine.

WHOA! 5" through spindle is pretty big indeed.

WHOA! 5" through spindle is pretty big indeed.
We mostly use it for facing and drilling centers on round bar up to 5" and drilling large rough bores on larger short rounds, it currently has a 20" 3 jaw scroll chuck on it.
You may want to remove the collet chuck and install a 3 or 4 jaw chuck on yours, far more versatile. If you need to do production work just put the collet chuck back on.

Look for a 3 jaw adjustable with 2 piece jaws with American standard tongue and groove masters so that you can easily obtain soft jaws for it, pull the collet set up off and determine what spindle nose it has first.
Good Luck

I havn't seen any evidence that their price is attainable. All the ones I've seen were no more than 1/2 that price and better looking. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

If you look at page 15 of this pdf you'll see the dimensions for my spindle.

http://www.bardonsoliver.com/pdf/Un...-7UTLInstallationOperationMaintenance2-52.pdf

Weird thing though is mines is a #5 but my inner dimension for the spindle matches the #7 (page 16) and the outer dimension is 3 5/8" which matches neither.

However, if you look at page 15 in the pdf at this link mentioned in an earlier post (http://www.bardonsoliver.com/pdf/UniversalTurretLathes/UTLTooling.pdf) you can see dimensions for the collets and pads and according to the chart the #5 lathe can use #7 or #9 collets depending on the master collet which is also dependant on the size of the spindle nose. Mine appears to be the larger option which I'm not at all upset about.

Back