Bandsaw vs Powered Hacksaw

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
This looks like two tools competing for the same job. What I don't get is why would a person prefer one over the other.

I have both. I only keep the powered hacksaw because I have it and it's beautiful old iron. The bandsaw is far more useful, particularly when in vertical mode with a shell table attached.

Power hacksaws of similar capacity have a smaller footprint. While smaller, hacksaws tend to be heavier.

All else equal bandsaws cut faster.

Hacksaws are often said to be slower than a bandsaw, and apples to apples this is true. However since hacksaws tend to be smaller, a hacksaw of a similar footprint may actually outperform a bandsaw. This is particularly true if comparing a heavy commercial hacksaw to a cheaper light duty bandsaw.

Hacksaws aledgedly cut straighter than bandsaws, but blade size is a big factor here. With the smaller size saws hobbyists tend to prefer hacksaws tend to allow the use of bigger 3/4" to 1-1/4" blades vs 1/2". On a larger bandsaw with 1"+ blades this may be less of a factor.

Since many consider hacksaws obsolete, you can often find really good deals on them.

I have and use both. My power hacksaw is a 14" Racine model 66W2. It has a 6"x 6" capacity and 2 speeds of 100, and 140 strokes per minute. The bandsaw is a Startrite H175. It has a 7" x 12" capacity and 3 speeds of 60, 100, and 160 fpm. Both have coolant capacity. The bandsaw is faster in that the highest speed on the hacksaw is slightly slower than the slowest speed on the bandsaw. Both machines are used on a regular basis. The bandsaw is used more often because of its location and ability to handle larger stock. The power hacksaw is used as a backup when the bandsaw is busy.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. While the power hacksaw is a bit slower it takes only seconds to change a blade and blades are considerably cheaper than those for the bandsaw. It's less costly to stock a number of different TPI blades for this saw than for the bandsaw. Used power hacksaws these days are considerably less expensive than used bandsaws. I have seen industrial grade power hacksaws in good condition selling for $250.00 to $500.00. Similar capacity bandsaws usually sell for double or triple the money.

The shop I worked in had both bandsaws and power hacksaws. One place where the power hacksaws shined was cutting Inconel. They could be set as low as 40 strokes per minute. Along with that the down feed pressure could be adjusted with the turn of a knob. They would slowly cut through a 6" round and still have a blade sharp enough to move onto other materials. The bandsaws had the lowest speed of 60 fpm which was far too fast for Inconel. They would destroy a blade in less than an hour and make little or no progress through the material.

The bandsaw as mentioned is quicker for most materials. However, it's a PITA to change blades and each one costs about $45.00 each. I do have a few different TPI blades for this machine, but not nearly as large a selection as for the power hacksaw. As mentioned in another post I must be a bit of a sawaholic. I have 5 different style metal cutting saws in the shop and nearly as many wood cutting saws.

As mentioned in another post I must be a bit of a sawaholic. I have 5 different style metal cutting saws in the shop and nearly as many wood cutting saws.

I seem to have the same affliction, with 4 metal saws and at least 7 or 8 wood saws.

Back