Bandsaw vs Chop Saw

I live in a small condo and space is limited, but I have been fortunate to be able have a friend cut stock for me as I work on my steam engine building skills. My space is limited so I was thinking of a metal chop saw to cut copper, brass and aluminium or I can buy a compact band saw that can be put on the shelf and not the larger Chinese floor model that most hobbyist have
..View attachment 249121
I live in a small condo and space is limited, but I have been fortunate to be able have a friend cut stock for me as I work on my steam engine building skills. My space is limited so I was thinking of a metal chop saw to cut copper, brass and aluminium or I can buy a compact band saw that can be put on the shelf and not the larger Chinese floor model that most hobbyist have
..View attachment 249121

I have all of the above mentioned types of metal saws, chopsaw being dirtyist. My favorite is my Milwaukee deep throut hand held saw. I use them all,but the deep throut is the quietest and very versatile great for metalwork.

Nice simple setup jim bob. How is the table setup?
The table fit was easy. Used the original 2 bolt holes to mount it. Just drilled the table and counter sunk the Allen heads, plus a little nip and tuck on the table. Just lift off the wall mount, take the 2 bolts lose and it's portable.

Thank you all for your input, with exchange on the US dollar etc think I will end up going with entry level band saw. Just means I have dispose of something the wife will not notice missing, to make room. IMG_2739.PNG

Thank you all for your input, with exchange on the US dollar etc think I will end up going with entry level band saw. Just means I have dispose of something the wife will not notice missing, to make room. View attachment 249292
I bought a used harbor freight 4x6 for $100. I'm glad I did. Made a dolly and a horizontal table for it.d07ed1350c25f8dcd05ee5fff40a7aa4.jpgfcfd4eeff860c15fac9e90d1ecc311ce.jpg Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Band saw. Much more versatile. Try trimming up a piece of 16gauge with a chop saw and you will wad it up and break the cutting disc. Ask me how I know..... I use my band saw for everything.

Old post but if you are only making small steam engines what is wrong with a hacksaw and a vise? You don’t need a bus to drive your one kid to school.

I have two portable bandsaws (plus several verticals and a horizontal) The cheap portable is similar to what you'd find at HF. It works well enough, but is extremely noisy. I always needed hearing protection when using it. The Milwaukee deep throat that menace mentioned is my every-day saw and is MUCH quieter.

Back