Bandsaw vs Chop Saw

It isn’t the noise, you could build five small steam engines and not wear out one hacksaw blade.

Makita and maybe other brands also, make a very nice small portable band saw, 2 x 18 v batteries. made for use on building sites. IO believe you can also get a frame stand for it it is small and quiet, intende for cutting metal..

Makita and maybe other brands also, make a very nice small portable band saw, 2 x 18 v batteries. made for use on building sites. IO believe you can also get a frame stand for it it is small and quiet, intende for cutting metal..

He is only making a few steam engines, why the overkill, I had a larger Milwaukee bandsaw, better than a sawsall but otherwise pretty useless.

To add an idea in case it hasn't been suggested yet (cause I didnt read entire thread) pick up one of those cheap HF welding blankets to throw over the machine to keep the sparks and saw grit confined so it doesnt go all over your apartment workshop. It may even help a small bit with noise.

As stated above; I have all of these saws. They all have their place. My opinion is this- if you are looking for "quiet", and your work is "small", meaning <1", then it is easy. Bandsaw, and a fixture to hold the saw is a bonus. For these kind of jobs, I regularly walk past my powered saws to get to the hacksaw for the small, one off, or delicate operations. I enjoy the physical, craftsman, athletic aspect of it. In my younger days, I did it, on some much bigger stock, with the hacksaw just for the workout. After all, the saw is for just getting "close", right?

He is only making a few steam engines, why the overkill, I had a larger Milwaukee bandsaw, better than a sawsall but otherwise pretty useless.

A hacksaw works but a power saw is much nicer. I'm building a tiny steam engine and it still involves cutting some 1" and 2" stock.

I've cut 1" steel bar with a hacksaw before I had a bandsaw. It wasn't my idea of a fun time. :)

The good news is now I have a garage shop and just completed a welding course so will be upping my game in near future with a
DW87214" (355MM) MULTI-CUTTER SAW
Or 12" Makita. That is after the insulation of the garage and the removal of the wife's things that keep encroaching on my space.

Back