• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • NOTICE: There are two new video channel areas set up, one for staff, and one for subscribing members. You need to create a folder. Then add your media to that folder. Once added, you can cut and paste the code at the bottom right to embed the media into a post on the forum.

It works very similarly to YouTube, except videos are stored on our server. Click Here For The Video Channels

[4]

Bandsaw vs Chop Saw

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

JohnnyTK

The Journey of Knowledge Continues
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I live in a small condo and space is limited, but I have been fortunate to be able have a friend cut stock for me as I work on my steam engine building skills. My space is limited so I was thinking of a metal chop saw to cut copper, brass and aluminium or I can buy a compact band saw that can be put on the shelf and not the larger Chinese floor model that most hobbyist have
.. 1512613114724.png

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Metal chop saws are at their best cutting thin guage , like electrical tubing. Things over a 1/4" get to be a pain. A bandsaw does much better in heavier solid iron.

Bob La Londe

I would note a band saw like the one you show appears to have a brush motor. It will be louder than a band saw with an induction motor. Apartment/condo living and all that. A chop saw would be even louder.

Uglydog

Active User
Cutting wheels spark alot, my experience is that they are also louder.
I'd go with the saw.

Daryl
MN

JohnnyTK

Cause Space is an issue for me, what about this model? And after thinking about the whole spark issue etc that plan is now dead. As I will only be working on smaller scale steam engines etc at this time. I know that on the larger ones that have the down feed you can leave them to cut, but space maximisation is a priority for me. As always I appreciate everyone's input and sharing.
Motor: 1/2HP, 110V, 3.4A, Single Phase

Switch: ON/OFF Switch

Cutting Capacity/Throat: 10”

Cast Iron Table Size: 13-1/8” x 13-3/8” (Including Extension Table)

Table Tilt: 0° to 45°

Wheel Construction: Precision Balanced Cast Aluminum

Blade Speed: 2750 FPM

Blade Length: 67-1/2"

Maximum Blade Width: 1/2"

Minimum Blade Width: 1/8”

Maximum Cutting Height: 4-1/8"

Maximum Cutting Width: 9-1/2

1512616375444.png

Last edited:

tweinke

Active User
I would go with a bandsaw in my opininion quieter and doesn't throw sparks or chips all over. If you could find a small powered hacksaw I think that would work too. Whatever I bought would be geared toward metal cutting not wood.

Chipper5783

Active User
Obviously it depends on what and how much cutting you intend. In the OP you said, copper, brass and aluminum. How about a scroll saw? They are small, quite, many different kinds of blades are available - and they are very useful for lots of things. Could you still lean on that friend of yours (see the OP) for cutting heavier stock?

coherent

I'll add my vote for a band saw. I had a big dewalt. Loud and messy... sparks. Bought a small bandsaw from Harbor Freight wasn't sure I'd like it. A week later sold the cut off saw. Just this last month, sold the small band saw which I've used a lot over the past few years and bought a larger one from Grizzly. Bandsaw!

samthedog

Active User
Bandsaw all the way. I use the saw to remove as much stock as possible before machining so I was very happy with my choice of an industrial model that could handle constant use.

Paul.

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member

LEM

get a hand bandsaw. Then buy a table to mount it on from SWAG. Best of all worlds especially in smaller spaces.

woodchucker

I live in a small condo and space is limited, but I have been fortunate to be able have a friend cut stock for me as I work on my steam engine building skills. My space is limited so I was thinking of a metal chop saw to cut copper, brass and aluminium or I can buy a compact band saw that can be put on the shelf and not the larger Chinese floor model that most hobbyist have
.. View attachment 249121
That band saw will be fine.
I have a Milwaukee band saw, that I made a table for.
it is perfect as it allows me to cut stock to size, and also cut shapes for rough cutting.
I don't think the chop saw is as valuable if you are doing small work. The saw you are showing would be even better if you can remount it in a small table when needed. That arm looks removeable.
Don't worry about the brushed motor, it's not too loud.

cjtoombs

Active User
I have owned and used a 14" abrassive chop saw, a 14" dewalt dry cut saw and a bandsaw. The chop saw is loud, dirty and it does take a long time to get through thicker steel. The dry cut saw is also loud and messy, but it does a very nice job on thicker steel. It is also very fast. My main problem with it was with the lack of accuracy, trying to get square cuts was near impossible. The bandsaw is quite, keeps it's mess in one nice pile and makes nice square cuts. It is slower than the dry cut saw. Your milleage may vary on squre cuts depending on the model you get, but for the apartment life, I would choose the bandsaw.

richl

Active User
All is very subjective, so any opinion on a version of bandsaw will very much depend on the needs of the user... I have a jet 14" vertical wood bandsaw with a jackshaft to slow it down for metal use, nice for thinner metal, I have one of the popular 4x6 variant horizontal bandsaw, good for heavier cuts, works nice for any materials I use it on, I have a couple chopsaws, as everyone mentioned, noisy, messy, lots of sparks, not very accurate...
I don't own one, but those little bandsaw chopsaws look like they would really be a great solution, unless you would like to do alot of scrollsaw type work, than I would consider the 4x6 horizontal/vertical or the portable with a swag off-road table.
Hand grinders may be an option, though they have more negatives than positives based on what info has been given

machPete99

I have my Portaband mounted in one of these Swag Offroad stands, with a footpedal switch, works pretty good, and is fastened to the end of my bench top, so takes little room. Note that they have a few diffrent models to fit different saws.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V30-Portaband-Table_p_55.html

I used to have one of those pivot stands shown in the earlier part of the thread but it had poor control over the cut and would jam and cause the blade to pop off the pulleys.

jimbob

Steel
Registered Member

menace

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I have all of the above mentioned types of metal saws, chopsaw being dirtyist. My favorite is my Milwaukee deep throut hand held saw. I use them all,but the deep throut is the quietest and very versatile great for metalwork.

jimbob

Steel
Registered Member
Nice simple setup jim bob. How is the table setup?
The table fit was easy. Used the original 2 bolt holes to mount it. Just drilled the table and counter sunk the Allen heads, plus a little nip and tuck on the table. Just lift off the wall mount, take the 2 bolts lose and it's portable.

JohnnyTK

Thank you all for your input, with exchange on the US dollar etc think I will end up going with entry level band saw. Just means I have dispose of something the wife will not notice missing, to make room. IMG_2739.PNG

[6]
[5] [7]