bandsaw blades

knifer-one

Active User
Registered
Whats the best type of bandsaw blade for all around use for mild steel,brass,aluminum etc. Enco has hardback or flex in the Starrett brand.

I've been using Morse brand blades in my band saw. It's a woodcutting saw so it's way too fast for metal. Nonetheless, I have had no problems with the Morse blades. I think I bought 10 TPI blades.

I got mine from Grainger.

John

author-one link=topic=2801.msg19184#msg19184 date=1311098024 said:
Whats the best type of bandsaw blade for all around use for mild steel,brass,aluminum etc. Enco has hardback or flex in the Starrett brand.

If you are going to limit the choices to hardback or flexback--then choose hardback for metal cutting (unless you're friction sawing!) Hardback will resist mushrooming the back when encountering the higher feed forces in cutting metal. Flexback is more appropriate for non-ferrous and wood cutting.

If you want the best blade with the lowest cost per cut, bi-metal is the way to go. For home shop use, I find a Lenox, Starrett, or Morse 1/2" 10/14 variable pitch bi-metal works for 90% of my metal cutting on both the horizontal, and the vertical saws. I have no experience with the Irwin that the previous poster recommends, but I wouldn't hesitate to try one.

Regards
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back