Band saw tension guage

Mark, Excellent work and excellent thread.

One comment on the chart that you posted; the applicable blade width and thickness (back to root of tooth) are not specified. The tension load is quantified in PSI so the cross sectional area of the blade is a primary factor. The chart you posted can only apply to one blade size (one specific cross sectional area). The image posted by Micke S, in #13 above, illustrates a method to calculate the indicator reading for any blade cross sectional area to achieve the desired blade stress (tension).

I, for one, am going to save this thread for future reference. Again, thank you for bringing it all together.

I only use one blade anymore. it is .500" wide and.025" thick. It is a 6/8 tooth combo. My chart is figured with this blade. If you download the calculator all the work is done. You put in the blade parameters, the tension in PSI, and the lever arm ratio, and the gauge distance, push the calculate button and it gives the indicator deflection.

Mark

I only use one blade anymore. it is .500" wide and.025" thick. It is a 6/8 tooth combo. My chart is figured with this blade. If you download the calculator all the work is done. You put in the blade parameters, the tension in PSI, and the lever arm ratio, and the gauge distance, push the calculate button and it gives the indicator deflection.

Mark

I copied the calculator that you referred to and have "tuned it up" to my liking. I'll attach a copy of the Excel 2010 file, hopefully, for easy access by anyone reading this thread. The value in having easy access to the spreadsheet is that many readers may use many different blade configurations.

Edit: Not able to upload the Excel file yet. Working on it.

Last edited:

Mark

In all my research (and according to the blade manufacturers), the one chart is good enough for any blade up to 1 1/4 inch wide. While it is correct the cross section is a variable, it's such a small change the variable can remain the same for up to 1 1/4 inch wide without problems. It is recommended to refigure the variable above 1 1/4 inch wide.

While it is good to know the facts about how all these readings are calculated, when a variable is so small, it's better to not make it complicated and over think things. I believe that is the reason blade manufacturers say use two variables one up to 1 1/4 inch and one over 1 1/4 inch wide.
After all, most people have been just guessing at this tension setting and getting by just fine for years. It is better to be close, to get the best life and use from your blade and saw. I been sawing for years at a guess, but with the proper blade at the proper tension, and the proper speed and cutting rate, things are a whole lot better. The results are amazing.

Mark Frazier

Last edited by a moderator:
Back