Band Saw Coolant?

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm going to upgrade my 4 x 6 saw to a Harbor Freight 7 x 12 band saw. I use TrimSol coolant on my Grizzly G0709 lathe, any reason(s) I can't use the same coolant on the band saw? Or should I go with a thicker oil? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bruce

I'm using Lenox Sawmaster Fluid. NOTHING rusts. When the level in the tank gets down from evaporation, I pour in a jug of water and it keeps working as good as when it was new.

Thanks for all the tips. Looks like coolant off Amazon Prime runs around $30 a gallon. I initially filled the reservoir with TrimSol since that's what I have on hand. Seems to work fine, lots more convenient than drizzling oil from a bottle. Next step is improving the run off back to the reservoir. The pan under the saw is dead flat, coolant doesn't "want" to run into the screen. I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom back corner and have a screened reservoir that runs back into the tank. It's easier to bias the leveling to a corner than try to pull the whole pan down and bend it at the drain.

Bruce

Back