Ball or Parabolic Turners- What are they and how do they work?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Dear Folks,

I have been reading again.

How are ball turners or parabolic turners used on a lathe to turn concentric shapes? (Photos would be awesome!)

Thanks,

Nelson

Since I was working on the handles, thought I'd get a pic - this will be the cross feed.

When I get the last ball cut, I will take a .125 cut off blade and set the compound to about 3-4° and get the slight taper between balls

Ballhandle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, about this parabolic turner........where is it?

I have 2 ball turners that I seldom use. A parabolic turner would be an interesting project. I have never seen one, but shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. The bigger problem would be finding an actual need for such a device. I don't fabricate many parabolic reflectors. I am presuming it could be fabricated using a scheme similar to that for generating ellipses.

It sounds like one of my many round tuit projects. ;D

Randy

Mine is a bit different, but basically turns a ball shape when I ask it to.

100_2459.JPG 100_2418 compressed.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Parabolas tend to be generated, normally, so I am curious about an attachment for a manual lathe that will cut them. Pictures or references, anyone?

Bill,
I just looked at my turner and was immediately struck with the apparent thinness of that dimension!! It must have slipped by me, or I would have probably doubled it - at least. I am not one to "color in the lines" so to speak, and often change dimensions, appearance features, or add something... Speaking of which - I added one feature to my turner that you may want to use. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the main shaft for a pointed pin to allow quickly finding the necessary lock down points of the size ball youre turning. See this post for pics of using it--

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46995&highlight=ball+turner

Back