Baldwin shaper from estate sale

Thank you so much guys! Great info. I'll do a tooth gear count tonight. Any other important measurements that might be needed?

Is there a casting date on this beauty? I have not seen one but there is a lot of paint on it.

Thank you so much guys! Great info. I'll do a tooth gear count tonight. Any other important measurements that might be needed?
JScott,
I forgot most important (Silly Me) Take off the front stop on the table stop mechanism, , Wind the table back till you can see the pinion which drives it, This will mean pushing table slightly beyond the little internal pinion, Make sure the table rear end is supported underneath, In case it falls off machine A block of wood or similar under it Temporary
Next using callipers or vernier measure diameter of pinion, over gear teeth & do a tooth count also, Oil up and carefully pull table forward turning gear to carefully re-engage with the rack teeth, These measurements are most important

Put table stop back on.

JScott,
I forgot most important (Silly Me) Take off the front stop on the table stop mechanism, , Wind the table back till you can see the pinion which drives it, This will mean pushing table slightly beyond the little internal pinion, Make sure the table rear end is supported underneath, In case it falls off machine A block of wood or similar under it Temporary
Next using callipers or vernier measure diameter of pinion, over gear teeth & do a tooth count also, Oil up and carefully pull table forward turning gear to carefully re-engage with the rack teeth, These measurements are most important

Put table stop back on.

Gear under the Rack is 2.498 inches and has 17 tooth count.
The outside gear on the same connection is a 58 tooth gear.
48 tooth gear with at smaller 28 tooth gear.
12 tooth gear on the shaft (which connects to the 1/4th gears on the other side that moves the tool)
The 58 tooth gear uses the 28 tooth gear to spin the 48 tooth gear which spins the shaft gear which is 12 tooth shaft gear.
Clear as mud right?

Gear under the Rack is 2.498 inches and has 17 tooth count.
The outside gear on the same connection is a 58 tooth gear.
48 tooth gear with at smaller 28 tooth gear.
12 tooth gear on the shaft (which connects to the 1/4th gears on the other side that moves the tool)
The 58 tooth gear uses the 28 tooth gear to spin the 48 tooth gear which spins the shaft gear which is 12 tooth shaft gear.
Clear as mud right?
Jscott No you are not as clear as mud, I can follow your data, to help me help you could you try this to check definitively the gear & rack under the table, Firstly with the table fairly well back, Run a broad chalk line along the top of the table (About 1" broad, Wind the table forward slightly by hand to get rid of any slack motion
Make another chalk mark on the outside of the rim on the big 58 tooth gear, & from the table top your little machine sits on, Take a set square & pencil mark a line vertically on the face of the gear rim (Keep you square on its position accurately do not move it)
Go back up to your machiine table area and clamp a nice straight piece of wood say 1&1/2" broad to the cross rail on your machine, (The face the tool slide moves on, Have you portion of wood square to the machine table (Above your broad chalk line) Next, Pencil a line across in front of the portion of wood. Now go back to your 58 tooth gear wind it forward by hand by using the appropiate drive belt pulley, till the vertical line on the 58 tooth gear comes round to its original position in front of the set square, Then pencil another cross line on your machine planer table Measure the distance between the two lines and you have the table travel distance for one revolution of the rack gear.

That is an important measurement , From it it is a simple? matter to work out the cutting speed in feet /minute As you have a small ancient machine like mine, it will operate slower than the powerful brute I once operated, But slow and steady still wins with a good result

That just made my day seeing ‘‘tis post and beautiful machine. Keep on keepin old stuff alive.
Thanks ron

Core-oil, I'll have that info in a few weeks. I am out for family thanksgiving. I look forward to getting this machine running!

Scruffy thanks for the words of encouragement!

THAT is the coolest little planer I have seen in a while. Just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Back