Baldwin shaper from estate sale

oops, triple posted somehow, tried to edit the last two, and lost everything.

Cool purchase.

Its called a planer.

A planer moves the workpiece under the cutting tool. A shaper moves the cutting tool over the workpiece.

I'll dig through my files, and see if I can find anything.

Nice find! I would love to see it run. I seem to have developed a liking for shapers and planers as of late........

My first machine post. I picked up this Baldwin up at an estate of an organ maker, in San Antoino. Not sure where I can find the build date on the casting. Is there a manual on this thing some where?

View attachment 245950
View attachment 245949
View attachment 245948
I think you'll find its a planer , shapers the cutter travels . On planners the work moves to the cutter.
I thought my federal was small but this is beautiful. If you ever get rid of it contact me please. Try the vintage machinery site . Keith Rucker also has a YouTube channel he might help. Do a search for Baldwin tools or NH Baldwin

Last edited:
Last edited:
You have a lovely little machine tool there, And as rare as hens teeth ! As a useful and handy machine tool goes , I put my money on planers , I have a little hand powered planer of the same approx size as your Baldwin , I would not do away with it for the world, By taking care and having your tools sharpened correctly, One can achieve almost precision ground finishes with a planer, do not think you will hogg of metal like the modern milling machines using carbide milling cutters, You are in a different time scale, Your table should plane work about 15 feet per minute , with a maximum depth of cut about a sixteenth of an inch deep, for finishing cuts a broad faced tool and in the case of machining steel , The use of cutting oil and a three thou maximum depth of cut, & a fairly course feed, You achieve a finished workpiece like chrome

Operating a planer seeing the belts flipping from one pulley to the next is mesmerising , when it is operating , For really delicate work, my hand operated machine is "The Bee's Knees"

I had several offers when I was removing the machine from the premises so I am glad to hear it is rare find.
I will need help determining what kind of motor can be utilized on this machine with out tearing it apart/breaking it. Any thoughts on resources that can help with this?

You had best consider drying off the drool splashed from Minnesota.
I'm looking forward to a video!!

Daryl
MN

Interesting that J's machine was converted to motor power . I wonder if that was hand knitted (as core- oil would say) ?

Back