Baldwin found a new home

That's pretty nifty! D0 you know when it was manufactured?

Now that's a thing of beauty.
-James Huston

Lovely little machine and a machine of great vintage, certainly before 1900 I would guess, I also have a little hand powered planer, for small occasional model engineering machining jobs they are very useful to have around

Info on the Baldwin Planer

Ken Copes book on foot powered machinery has a lot on Baldwin including what they called a hand planer and power planer. According to the cuts from an 1869 catalog, you could get it in a 22 inch version for $95 and a 40 inch model at $115 and both were hand versions. They also offered a power version in 36 in and 48 inch.

You could also get a 6 in x 6 in cute little hand version for $75 dollars. Something that small would be great in my foot powered collection.

I saw the earlier thread and just forgot to jump in. I have a small Baldwin, about 2 foot bed and maybe 6 inch swing. The legs have a fairly ornate casting. She is a full screw cutting metal lathe still with treadle but no change gears. Pretty little thing!

From what Ken has in his catalog, Baldwin was one of the earliest makers of primarily foot powered lathes, scroll saws and the planers. Also offered a traversing mandrel lathe for screw cutting and a special eccentric chuck and a improved ball cutting attachment. This was all shown in their 1869 catalog.

Back