Baldor model 500 grinder questions?

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello , I recently bought a used model 500 tool grinder. This is one heavy grinder. This grinder has 1 green wheel for carbide and 1 diamond wheel. Green wheel needs dressing. and The diamond wheel appears to be well worn but interested to see if there are any instructions detailing accurite wheel trueing/dressing? What budget tool or tools work best for dressing/trueing? Also wondering what is usually done to diamond wheels , if anything can or should be? This diamond wheel appears to be worn thru in spots. Main use is for grinding HSS lathe/mill tooling. I am going to build a pedestal mount when I source a nice chunk of something for the column. I have piece of 6" round tubeing coming but not sure if it is stiff or thick walled enough. I have used old semi brake drums for grinder bases and may use one of those but curious what other members have built and maybe share some pictures of their grinder bases? Ski

Not sure what a Baldo grinder is - did you mean Baldor? If so, here is a photo of mine with the original cast iron stand.
Baldor.jpg

Hello , I recently bought a used model 500 tool grinder. This is one heavy grinder. This grinder has 1 green wheel for carbide and 1 diamond wheel. Green wheel needs dressing. and The diamond wheel appears to be well worn but interested to see if there are any instructions detailing accurite wheel trueing/dressing? What budget tool or tools work best for dressing/trueing? Also wondering what is usually done to diamond wheels , if anything can or should be? This diamond wheel appears to be worn thru in spots. Main use is for grinding HSS lathe/mill tooling. I am going to build a pedestal mount when I source a nice chunk of something for the column. I have piece of 6" round tubeing coming but not sure if it is stiff or thick walled enough. I have used old semi brake drums for grinder bases and may use one of those but curious what other members have built and maybe share some pictures of their grinder bases? Ski

Don't use Diamond on HSS .
That diamond will probably still cut although slowly on Carbide.
Use a diamond single point for truing the Green wheel, make a holder for it so you can run along the rest to true it up.

Not sure what a Baldo grinder is - did you mean Baldor? If so, here is a photo of mine with the original cast iron stand.View attachment 230464
Thanks for posting and yes I did slip up on the name. I am looking for a piece of 6 x 6 square tubing for the base column. I may use the old semi brake drum for the base. I have another cheap grinder I built using a big truck brake drum for the base. I remember one that was actualy filled with cement with a big 10" grinder on it.

I have an Enco china copy grinder I mounted on a harbor freight grinder stand. Cost $19.00 and very steady and sturdy.
Dsc_0339small.jpg
This is before I put a diamond and a cbn wheel on it. I know it's a cheap way out but it does the job.

Roy

I have an Enco china copy grinder I mounted on a harbor freight grinder stand. Cost $19.00 and very steady and sturdy.
View attachment 230815 This is before I put a diamond and a cbn wheel on it. I know it's a cheap way out but it does the job.

Roy
Absolutely nothing wrong with cheap. May follow in your footsteps Roy.

Back