Bad spindle?

How old is the lathe? Did the p5roblem just begin or has it slowly been getting worse? Have you actually measured runout, end play etc.?Have you checked the bearings? Do they feel rough when rotated? Lots of possibilities. More information please.

Do you have the manual for your lathe? If so there should be instructions for setting preload on the spindle bearings. If you don't have the manual go to the Grizzly website and download the manual.

So I think we are narrowing down the problem. Fist issue seems to be the adapter plate for the Gator chuck has a bunch of runout (video below). Gator is going to send a new adapter plate and I will re-test.

I put the orginal 3-jaw and 4-jaw that came with th machine back on and the wobble went away. I thinking I'm going to order a MT5 test bar and perform some of the tests you guys posted above.

Thank you for everyone's help and input.

odd that it's that far out and glad you found the problem. When you get the new one, give it a very light pass with a cutter on the relevant surfaces (for a set-tru, right?) to true it to your spindle and mark which cam pin went into which hole. That will give you the most reproduceable accuracy possible.

Gator was surprised that the adapter was that far out of spec as well. Great idea on a light cut pass. My other two chucks are marked and will be do the same on the gator.

Back