Bad Mitutoyo Calipers!

How about a dot of blue loctite applied with a pin?
R

I wouldn't use locktite because you never know when you might need to adjust them again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You commenting about trying to make bearing fits and not getting shaft to the correct size. Calipers were never designed to make bearing fits, period. We are all guilty of doing this, I included. When you have to make precision fits, get your mics and telescoping gages out, that's what they are made for.

I don't own an inside mic either, wouldn't use one enough to make it worth while. I rough the hole in checking it with calipers then switch to telescope gauges if I don't have the right size gauge pin. If it's really critical the next step is a bore gauge. For the average hobbiests the caliper is the first step before using the mating part to get a fit. Not many here are subcontracting to NASA.

In my home shop I'm still using the first pair of Mitutoyo dial calipers I bought when I started out in 1981. I'm very confident using it to the nearest .001" of anything I need to do. I only break out the micrometers when holding tenths (.0001") is a requirement.

At night I work in a quality lab with the most sophisticated measuring equipment a large corporation can buy. We just got a brand new $163,000 roundness tester installed yesterday right next to the old one that seldom got used. There's 7 large CMM's running 24/7 too. But when someone comes into the lab with a problem most of the time it's the calipers and/or gauge pins that get reached for first.

I don't think locktight will harden if exposed to air , it is ment to crystallize inside threads.
A small drop of superglue, nail polish is what I would suggest

Thanks again. You saved me an embarrassing call to Mitutoyo. The actually have an office here in CLT.
R

I don't own an inside mic either, wouldn't use one enough to make it worth while. I rough the hole in checking it with calipers then switch to telescope gauges if I don't have the right size gauge pin. If it's really critical the next step is a bore gauge. For the average hobbiests the caliper is the first step before using the mating part to get a fit. Not many here are subcontracting to NASA.

In my home shop I'm still using the first pair of Mitutoyo dial calipers I bought when I started out in 1981. I'm very confident using it to the nearest .001" of anything I need to do. I only break out the micrometers when holding tenths (.0001") is a requirement.

At night I work in a quality lab with the most sophisticated measuring equipment a large corporation can buy. We just got a brand new $163,000 roundness tester installed yesterday right next to the old one that seldom got used. There's 7 large CMM's running 24/7 too. But when someone comes into the lab with a problem most of the time it's the calipers and/or gauge pins that get reached for first.

I use the telescoping gauges from mitutoyo for inside diameters , they go very very small and are quite cheep for what they are (i got mine second hand)

I purchased a cheep set of telescoping gauges first, i cant even begin to say how bad they were, i took them apart to try and polish the surface finnish to make them work repeatably but found they were beyond repair. They went in the scrap bin. On the other hand the small hole gauges that are like an expanding ball were ok in the cheep variety, could be better but still ok. Ok ok rant over :)

Stuart

Back