Bad finish on one side.

imnoto

Registered
Registered
Just learning 360 and made a little part to figure things out.

One side looks ok considering I stopped and started this job over and over.
OkSide.jpg
The second side tho is really bad looking.
I did 2D adaptive to clear the bulk came back to finish the last .020. I split the .020 into 3 passes at full depth climb milling so probably stepover of about .007 on .375 endmill.
OuchSide.jpg
Ideas?

I had a similar problem where the X and Y linear cuts were smooth but arc and circular cuts were rough. Turns out it was bad AC ball screw bearings. Here's my thread and how I reached that conclusion, http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/need-help-to-improve-surface-finish.61229/. Could be several other things though, e.g. gib adjustment, spindle bearings, recutting chips, etc. If you give us some background information on your machine and setup we can help you narrow down the source of your problem.

Thanks for the reply Tom, I'm sure I have a few issues with my machine but I have cleared up this issue was a problem I think I was cutting more than I thought on finishing pass. Sorted that in 360 and here are some pics after.
I will be reading your thread anyway to maybe help narrow down some of my other issues.

20170830_233311.jpg

20170830_233321.jpg

Thanks for the reply Tom, I'm sure I have a few issues with my machine but I have cleared up this issue was a problem I think I was cutting more than I thought on finishing pass. Sorted that in 360 and here are some pics after.
I will be reading your thread anyway to maybe help narrow down some of my other issues.

Yes, much better finish. How much were you trying to remove on the finishing pass? Lot's of things can affect surface finish and it can be a bit daunting wading through it all. You may already know this but Fusion has a feature where you can repeat the finish pass by clicking on the appropriate box. I do this on all finishing cuts.

Yes, much better finish. How much were you trying to remove on the finishing pass? Lot's of things can affect surface finish and it can be a bit daunting wading through it all. You may already know this but Fusion has a feature where you can repeat the finish pass by clicking on the appropriate box. I do this on all finishing cuts.

I'm a bit confused on how 360 handles the multiple finishing passes but somewhere between .010 and .020.
I did not have the repeat finishing pass on, I will do from now on.

My Confusion..?
I need to cleanup .020 from the previous adaptive cut so...

If I put .003 step over and 1 finishing pass it looks like its going to slam through the last .020 thinking its taking .003 off. Correct?

So I guess I have to calculate what is left to take off? Like .020 left div .003 = 6.6 round up to 7 passes of .003 step over providing I want to take the last .020 in .003 cuts.
I guess I thought that Fusion would figure that stuff out and I could just say take .003 till you get there.

I'm a bit confused on how 360 handles the multiple finishing passes but somewhere between .010 and .020.
I did not have the repeat finishing pass on, I will do from now on.

My Confusion..?
I need to cleanup .020 from the previous adaptive cut so...

If I put .003 step over and 1 finishing pass it looks like its going to slam through the last .020 thinking its taking .003 off. Correct?

So I guess I have to calculate what is left to take off? Like .020 left div .003 = 6.6 round up to 7 passes of .003 step over providing I want to take the last .020 in .003 cuts.
I guess I thought that Fusion would figure that stuff out and I could just say take .003 till you get there.

I am no expert on Fusion 360 but this is how I set up to do 2D contour finishing passes, which I assume is what you are doing. For your roughing passes you tell Fusion how much radial stock to leave. In your case you are leaving .020". When setting up your finish contour click on the "Passes" icon at the top of the 2D Contour dialogue box. Scroll down the list of setup options and click on "Multiple Finishing Passes". The next two options on the list are "Multiple Finishing Passes" and "Stepover". Click on "Multiple Finishing Passes" and setup option "Number of Finishing Passes" will appear. If you want to take a .010" width of cut then enter "2" in the box, i.e. two passes at .010" each equals .020". You can also enter .010" in the "Stepover" option box but in this case it is redundant. On the other hand say you have .020" of stock to remove and you want to take a .015" WOC on the first pass then follow up with a .005" WOC pass. You would click on "Multiple Finishing Passes", enter "2" in the "Number of Finishing Passes", and enter .015" as your "Stepover". Fusion knows you left .020" of radial stock so it does the math for you and produces a .015" first pass and a .005" second pass. For repeating the final machining pass scroll down a few more set up options and click on "Repeat Finishing Pass". Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW - I would suggest a finishing pass of at least .005" width of cut. Too light of a cut and you are just wearing out your cutter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tom yes this totally helps, I will play with it and test the options now that I have a better understanding of how they should work.

Noted on the finishing pass WOC. I'm kind of a noob as you can see.

Thanks Tom yes this totally helps, I will play with it and test the options now that I have a better understanding of how they should work.

Noted on the finishing pass WOC. I'm kind of a noob as you can see.

I'm learning too. Spent my entire career (40+ years) in the machining/manufacturing industry but only ran manual machines. Been playing around with CNC for about three years so it's still new.

What CNC machine do you have? I'm trying to figure out speeds and feeds and how much my machine can take.

What CNC machine do you have? I'm trying to figure out speeds and feeds and how much my machine can take.

I converted a PM-932 square column mill drill. I can run up to 8650 rpm. Being a hobbyist I run it on the conservative side. Just finished up the
CNC machining on a 6061 T6 aluminum tool setter this afternoon. Roughed the periphery at 3000 rpm, 1.30" DOC, and .050" WOC using a 5/8" 4 flute HSS rougher. Probably could have pushed it further but why? As you said you have to get a feel for what your machine can handle. The only way to find out is push it a little further until you hear it say "no more". Then back off a little.

Back