[How-To] Back gear repair

I do have some silver solder that has the flux coating. But i only have a stick and a half. So i think 3 feet of it.

I did not do this repair.
I have had the lathe 40 or so years. Fix was done way before I got it.
i suspect it was done by a machine shop teacher in the 40s to 60s.
probably the two gears were broken off by a student in the school where it lived for many years.
My guess is the broken gears were ground flat at the base, then carefully measured, drilled & tapped for a row of (5) 6-32 screws, then carefully ground to the same profile as the original teeth.
this is not a fast fix but done carefully will work just fine, at least mine has, I’ve done much thread cutting using the back gears.
Good luck with any fix you choose.

Do the e bay fix, welding on cast iron will doubtless result in an hard un machinable weld.
that is correct. years past i used to o/a weld exhaust surfaces on cast iron cyl heads. the auto machine people had issues resurfacing that area
(i have since got a machine that surfaces them with no issues but will not cut shapes)

this is the 3rd time I’ve recently explained how my back gear was fixed,
do a search on back gears.
personally I would try to fix it like mine was fixed.
What have you got to lose, it is already broken.
i just checked my parts list prices from 6-15-57, back gear Pt.# A536ink2 was 11.75 then.
in 2022 dollars that is $120. A bargain if you could even find a used one.
I’m with bennychree, the eBay fix would be a good fix.
maybe glue it on with locktite, a press fit will probably crack the tiny gear between the teeth.
standard disclaimer, I’m not an engineer, just a retired welder/machinist.

I ordered the gear fix on ebay. I will either use the loctite or i will freeze the shaft over night and then heat up the gear and set it in place

I do have some silver solder that has the flux coating. But i only have a stick and a half. So i think 3 feet of it.
This is a lot. An inch is a lot. If you are careful, you should be able to do the job with about 1/4" or less, especially if you flatten it a tiny bit. You just want it in the gap. A fillet is not necessary. I just surfed flux coated 56% sticks. Grainger had them for $1582 for a pound. This is a lifetime supply, but it is kind of pricey. The guy cleaning out the lab gave out pieces 1 ft long for free. People were scared of the cadmium, so he gave me a second piece. I've used about 2" in the past 15 years.

I ordered the gear fix on ebay. I will either use the loctite or i will freeze the shaft over night and then heat up the gear and set it in place
Can you post a link to the eBay kit?

This is a lot. An inch is a lot. If you are careful, you should be able to do the job with about 1/4" or less, especially if you flatten it a tiny bit. You just want it in the gap. A fillet is not necessary. I just surfed flux coated 56% sticks. Grainger had them for $1582 for a pound. This is a lifetime supply, but it is kind of pricey. The guy cleaning out the lab gave out pieces 1 ft long for free. People were scared of the cadmium, so he gave me a second piece. I've used about 2" in the past 15 years.
This is the stuff i have. It is about 6 years old.

Attachments

• FAD0CE0C-55B7-462F-9F76-4DA99CC8299E.png
    FAD0CE0C-55B7-462F-9F76-4DA99CC8299E.png
    106 KB · Views: 3
Back