Baby steps

Hawkeye I tried that tip while turning some threads, backed out 1 turn...repositioned...went back in 1 turn...got interrupted...came back to the shop went in another turn and let her fly...GRRRRRRAHHHHH! :yikes: I ordered the DRO the next day.

It's not a question of "IF" you're going to do that, it's a question of "When and how many times" you do that :angry:

Ray

Hawkeye I tried that tip while turning some threads, backed out 1 turn...repositioned...went back in 1 turn...got interrupted...came back to the shop went in another turn and let her fly...GRRRRRRAHHHHH! :yikes: I ordered the DRO the next day.

We've all been there at least once. I hate it when that happens. I learned that when I get interrupted, to back the tool out and sneak up on it again when I get back to it. The DRO is a great idea!

Actually it went GRRRRRAHHHHH across my nice 5/8-11 threads then I slammed the half nut off and it went GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr as it chewed straight in followed by (censored, censored...censored) lol Did I mention I was nearly finished with that part :angryfire: Then I had to endure mocking from my Mori Seiki NL2500Y owner brother. (face palm)

Transformer, does your lathe have zero-setting dials? I can't tell from the picture but I would expect it does. If it does then touch off on your part and move the cutter clear of the work without touching the crossfeed. Zero the dial and turn the crossfeed some amount - say 0.010". Make another cut, back out the crossfeed and move the carriage clear of the work. Measure the OD of your work and go back to your 0.010" setting and re-zero the dial. Now dial in your desired depth of cut and see if the resultant OD is reduced by twice the amount you dialed in. If so, you're set.

As the others have pointed out, the way to deal with backlash is to always set your depth of cut by backing off a half turn or so, then turning your crossfeed wheel clockwise or back to your new setting.

This is why I set 0 for the cross slide when threading and only back out to .050 ( .070 out) when backing out this way I know if I am in or out. If I read 0 i'm in if I read .050 i am out. And Ray is right not a matter of if but when that is why I switched to this way. I question though why does it never seem to happen at the beging of the project but always when you are almost done?

Thanks for all the great info. Doing much better now. I like that you can zero out the dials, never knew that so thanks for the tip.

Transformer

Back