Baby Delta Bandsaw

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
IMG_0063.JPG
I just picked up a Delta 28-110 10" bandsaw. Made in 1957
and in sweet condition. Labeled as Homecraft.
Due to its good bones, compact size, and that I want to keep metal out of my woodshop, this ones home will be the metal shop. It is currently powered by a 1/3 hp 1750 rpm motor with a 2.5" pulley, pushing a 5" pulley on the saw. Way quick, and even if I reversed the ratio still too
quick. I have some 3phase motors available and an extra vfd, but not sure if I would lose too much torque lowering the hz as much as I might need to.
Another option is to pick up a 3 ph .4kw 1:20 geared motor on Ebay and run that with a vfd (variable speed).
What rpm range should I be targeting for the saw shaft for steel, brass, bronze, etc?
Thanks for any constructive advise.

Last edited:
First you have to determen at What speed you wil need it to run meter per second or feet per second or minutes then you can calculate the wheel size convert it to rpm and then you have the answer to the pully and rpm the motor needs to be.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

As ZA stated, decide the feet per minute range you want to use then calculate pulley diameters and motor rpm's from that.

Common blade speed for metal cutting is 100 - 200 fpm.

Bandsaws designed for cutting wood run way too fast as you have observed.

With your Delta bandsaw design, lots of space between the motor and the blade pulleys, so you could always add a middle pulley to get the desired speed reduction.

i have a craftsman where i put a tread mill motor on and works good for metal and wood, of course you have to use a metal cutting blade on steel. I make my own blades from bulk material.

Thanks for that calculator and speed chart Rich. I'll be cutting titanium liners for folding knives, and aluminum for scales, so my fps range is 65 to 300+.
I'll probably need to go with the gear reduction motor and vfd combo. Now to figure out healthy hz operating ranges for the 3ph motor and determine my
targeted shaft rpm at 1750 (60hz). I think I can push to 120hz on the high end, and drop down to 20hz on the low if I have at least a .5hp to .75hp motor.
Nothing will be spinning for long periods of time.

Last edited:
It might be cheaper to go with a dc gear motor and drive. It will have l the torque you could ask for too. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be cheaper to go with a dc gear motor and drive. It will have l the torque you could ask for too. Just my $.02

I've been looking at those but unless I can find one that comes with a controller, the controller can cost as much as the motor. I'm not an electrical wizard, perhaps even exceptionally challenged when it comes to electonics, but I can handle vfds! Any clue as to where to find a .5 to 1 hp dc motor with controller?

Hi Jothathans I just picked up the same saw I was wondering if you pursued converting yours to metal cutting

Hi Jothathans I just picked up the same saw I was wondering if you pursued converting yours to metal cutting

Yowsa!
2017 thread revival!
:)

Back