B&s 2lb Surface Grinder

Derrick, the 2LB is the same as my 2L but without the power feeds, all manual. That is an issue because it takes about 9 full turns of the relatively small handle to move the ~100 pound table from one end to the other, and the table is on plain slide ways, not rollers. It would be great if you have Popeye sized arm muscles or wish to develop them. On the model 2 or 2L the table cycling and the cross feed are both power and the cross feed will index at either end of the table travel, or both, and at the chosen increments. You can start it going and walk away while it works. All the B models are strictly manual. Roller table conversions are available for these grinders, and many others, but they are not cheap and you still have to crank the handles. On smaller and lighter machines like a Boyar Schultz 6x12, manual tables are not such hard work.

It also depends on what you are grinding. If it is a small piece, say 1x1", doing it manually is not such a big deal compared to cranking back and forth on work that fills the 6x18" work surface. Even on small parts, the automatic machines shine, there is a hand lever where you can reverse the power feed manually, and effortlessly, just by gently switching it back and forth as the grinder clears the work, leaving the other hand to control the down feed and the cross feed. Even with the power feeds a finish pass might be done by hand.

It also depends on what you are grinding. If it is a small piece, say 1x1", doing it manually is not such a big deal compared to cranking back and forth on work that fills the 6x18" work surface. Even on small parts, the automatic machines shine, there is a hand lever where you can reverse the power feed manually, and effortlessly, just by gently switching it back and forth as the grinder clears the work, leaving the other hand to control the down feed and the cross feed. Even with the power feeds a finish pass might be done by hand.
Sometimes with small parts, it is faster to stroke the table by hand, as when using the power feeds, the shortest stroke on automatic may be about 4", if you are sharpening the end of a 1/4" punch, that is a lot of overrun and wasted time. The man who gave me my B&S MicroMaster 6X18 with all power feeds kept four other manual machines, also all B&S for punch and die sharpening, I assume for that reason.

Back