AXA or BXA???

cityhick

Registered
Registered
Hi All.... I have a POWERKRAFT (LOGAN) 10 inch swing and I am looking for a QCTP. Should I be looking at the AXA or the BXA? Will either size work? Im thinking that the BXA...if it will work...would be the better choice. Am I thinking right that the BXA would be a little bigger and there for a little more rigid?

Thanks, Mike

I'm guessing AXA.

Measure the height from the top surface of your compound slide (where the tool post would sit) to spindle centerline on your lathe. If you have over 1-1/8" you'll be able to use a BXA with it's standard max capacity (5/8" shank tools).

If you have less than 1-1/8" AXA would be the better choice (you'll need at least 15/16" to use 1/2" tools with AXA). You won't notice a difference in rigidity between AXA & BXA in this case. Only real advantage you'll gain with BXA is that you'll get to use 5/8" shank tools & there are more indexable tools available in 5/8" than 1/2". But there's ways around that, you can mill down a 5/8" shank to 1/2". If you only use tool bits that you grind yourself, again no advantage. But if you can fit BXA properly might as well.

And before you think of it, using a BXA tool post with just 1/2" tools if you can't fit 5/8" will also have no advantage over AXA. And if AXA is the correct size you'll save money on the tool post & holders since they're cheaper.

The Logan compound rest sits a little higher than some other lathes, so a BXA will be too tall for your 10".
Here's a picture of mine with an AXA. Notice how low the tool holder is in the tool post. A bigger tool post
won't help.

DSCF7268.JPG

AXA. You can also get oversized holders for AXA for 5/8 tools. And since it could be a little low for some tools you can mill off some of the bottom of a holder if needed to get lower for the tool.

BXA too large for that lathe.

Heading off the next question: Yes Wedge type is better, few dollars more but most say the action of the wedge pulling the holder down a bit might be more accurate than piston.

Next question answer: The inexpensive models can be just as good as the much more expensive sets. More expensive brand name ones have better finishes and tighter tolerances but holding the tool repeatably in one place most say done well with both.

Shars sells an AXA tool holder for 5/8" tools. The Aloris AXA-1S will also accept 5/8" tools.

Yes oversized holders are available for most all the QCTP sizes but being able to use them matters on the lathe. The lathe has to have enough height between the compound slide & center spindleline to be able to use oversized holders with the max capacity tool. Here's a post I made a few years back showing exactly what I mean (end of the post)

Shars sells an AXA tool holder for 5/8" tools. The Aloris AXA-1S will also accept 5/8" tools.

I just received this item in my latest Shars order delivered a short time ago. 250-102XL. Part #202-9442.

I could mill the 250-102 tool holders to make the slot 5/8in, but I wanted another tool holder so I got one which could take 5/8in tool bits if I have a future need.

My lathe has 12in swing. The original poster has 10in swing.

Back