Auxiliary Lead Screw Drive

Thank you to all for the great ideas....
I do have a wiper motor that was slated for a power quill feed for my mill. As I use the lathe more I think I'll change my plans and use it for the lathe.

I would think the belt tension would ware out the leed screw support bearing prematurely , unless roller bearings were used.

With the sprocket belt or for that matter with gears, there is still a side load that will wear the bearing and lead screw on either the inside or the outside. The only way around that is to drive the lead screw with some sort of a right angle gear box.

I suppose one could make an adapter of sorts to fit the wiper motor right to the lead screw. I looked the lead screw area over quickly last night, I'm not sure there is enough room to put a bearing of sorts in there. Naturally a new lead screw support would need made up, but I'm not sure you would find bearings small enough to make it work.
I tend to agree with "uncle harry" above. A timing belt and toothed pulleys shouldn't put that much more tension on it.
My mill uses a timing type belt to run the head with toothed gears, its been running that way for over 30 years, never a problem.
Thanks to all for some excellent suggestions and advice.

I had a small gear drive motor run a lead screw on a SB 9 C for years and I used a small roller chain todo it . The nice thing about that was feed direction was just a switch away and speed was guickly set.

I have a DC motor out of a tread mill. Would this work with a variable speed control unit?
Would it go slow enough and still have the torque needed to run the lead screw?
You'd want about a 10: 1 speed reduction.

With the sprocket belt or for that matter with gears, there is still a side load that will wear the bearing and lead screw on either the inside or the outside. The only way around that is to drive the lead screw with some sort of a right angle gear box.
You could couple the end of the lead screw to a short shaft with its own bearings and put the sprocket on that shaft.

Back