Aux Spindle Mount - Material Help

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
So my next project is to make a mount for an auxiliary spindle for my G0704 so that I can do some wood inlay, mainly. So I need high speed. I already have a Dremel 4000 which I use with a special router base for inlay, but I would like to be able to mount it to my mill since it is CNC'd. Looking at what I have on hand, I have some 3/8" 6061 plate and some 3/4" acetal plate. Attached is the drawing I came up with. The envelope is 4"x10", with the large hole to mount on the spindle and the small hole will be tapped for the Dremel. My question is which material should I make the mount from? I know that a Dremel is not the most ideal, but it's what I have. At some point I want to get a compact router and mount it, but for now, this will have to do.

So which material should I make the mount out of? The acetal is thick enough for two clamping screws around the spindle, while the 6061 will only support 1. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!Dremel%20Aux%20Spindle%20mount_zpsb3qrfgpz.png

I think I would make a slot in the arm, with a sliding bushing, so you may be able to use it on future projects that have a different offset. It is also a way to dial in your offset accurately, and less fussy -- but more work up front. BTW, cheap air die grinders work well for that kind of work, just noisy...

Bob, I'm not sure I get exactly what you are saying, do you mean make the large bore a slot?

As for the air die grinder, I don't have a very large compressor/air capacity, but I'll look into it.

Bob, I'm not sure I get exactly what you are saying, do you mean make the large bore a slot?

As for the air die grinder, I don't have a very large compressor/air capacity, but I'll look into it.
I meant to make the small hole a slot. You said the big hole fits the spindle. With a wide and long slot you can make alternate inserts with different hole sizes and also slide them to different radial positions. Of course, you can also do it more quickly as per your drawing, and hold my idea for future needs as well.

Given the two materials you mention, I'd say to go with the aluminum. I don't think the acetal would give you a satisfactory grip on the mill's spindle, and its limited strength would not allow you to tighten it very much. As for mounting the Dremel, recall that the nose of the tool is plastic. So anything beyond ⅜" aluminum would pretty much be overkill.

Design details: The nose of the Dremel is threaded ¾-12. There's an unthreaded section on the nose behind the threads. You could turn a spacer ring to go between the Dremel and your mount. By adjusting the thickness of this ring, you could "time" the position of the Dremel for handy access to the switch and spindle lock.

I've made two different mounts for Dremel tools (for a Rose Engine). If you have any further questions, pleas feel free to PM.dm1.jpgdm2.jpg

John, great tip on the spacer. I was wondering how I would adjust the positioning of the switch and such. I have the tap in hand, I should be able to start cutting the piece next week (I have a large dining table I'm working on for the wife at the moment)

Back