[Mill] Automation Technologies Kl-2200 3hp Dc Spindle

maly-miller

Registered
Registered
Did any one try the KL-2200 the 3 HP Spindle that is sold by automation technologies. I was thinking to use it in my build (In the R&D phase)

Does it have a potential and good power to work hard materials like Titanium and hardened steel?

I am kinda new in this and I don't want just to throw $700 for something that I will be throwing later.

My plane is to use it as a belt drive conversion for a ZX45 mill CNC conversion project.

What do you think guys?

Consider you are asking "3 hp from a motor that is 4.11"/110mm diameter and 8"/214mm long. It may be a good motor but the spec, especially at lower rpm may be a tad optimistic? I had almost the identical motor on my PM45m and upgraded . It was a "3 hp" also. More torque is always a good thing and then there is the laws of physics thing...

It is worth noting that some of the new servo motors do pack a punch in a smaller package but you tend to get what you pay for.

As far as working with materials, using the right speeds and feeds you can cut steel and titanium with smaller end mills and shallower cuts. I have cut both with my mini mill years ago.

Bigger machines and motors make it much more fun though!

For reference, here is a 3 hp lincoln extreme duty inverter duty motor also rated at 3 hp:

motor-test-fit2.jpg

motor-tag.jpg

Anyway, good luck with your upgrade.

Last edited:
It may be a good motor but the spec, especially at lower rpm may be a tad optimistic?
I hear you. I also think it is too good to be true specially with the size and weight, and that's why I am asking to see if anyone had on hand experience with. No logic say to pay $700 in junk when u can pay a little more and get a nice motor that will do the job right.

What is your recommendation for an RF-45 type mill for belt conversion. I am researching to find something with good torque and not that heavy too. Also I am tending towards DC more than AC. what do you suggest?

I would look for new surplus on ebay. I got 2 of those lincoln motors pictured above unused for 200 each. New they were 1500 because they have the capability to have encoders and drives added to them. A good dc from a major manufacturer like a leesson or ge or 3 phase ac works. If you get proper dc you will still need to buy a control to convert the ac to dc + speed so it ends up being similar in cost to a 3 phase in many cases + a vfd. Get an "inverter duty" if you go with a 3 phase. RF45 clones at 8000 rpm with 2hp are a significant upgrade over stock machines like Tormach cutting abilities. Speeds and feeds that will bog a 1100 right down, are done with ease.
Bascially you want a motor in the 2 hp range that is real. The marathon micro max motors are nice and I probably would have gone with those for my conversion if I hadn't scored the ebay deal. Leeson is also quality. The Leeson 192074 motor has been used successfully on RF45's.

I would look for new surplus on ebay. I got 2 of those lincoln motors pictured above unused for 200 each. New they were 1500 because they have the capability to have encoders and drives added to them. A good dc from a major manufacturer like a leesson or ge or 3 phase ac works. If you get proper dc you will still need to buy a control to convert the ac to dc + speed so it ends up being similar in cost to a 3 phase in many cases + a vfd. Get an "inverter duty" if you go with a 3 phase. RF45 clones at 8000 rpm with 2hp are a significant upgrade over stock machines like Tormach cutting abilities. Speeds and feeds that will bog a 1100 right down, are done with ease.
Bascially you want a motor in the 2 hp range that is real. The marathon micro max motors are nice and I probably would have gone with those for my conversion if I hadn't scored the ebay deal. Leeson is also quality. The Leeson 192074 motor has been used successfully on RF45's.

Exactly, it is the battle of high speed VS torque. I won't be running steel and titanium all the time. Until now I think most of my machining will be Aluminium at least in the beginning, which needs more speed. I will start researching in this area. I still have time until I get my mill & Lathe so this is a plus for me.

I have no experience in machining. I am kinda backward starter :) I built my first CNC router without learning how to machine. only some knowledge from my engineering background.

I will be learning as I go and documenting every step of machining and welding that I will be doing in a blog for anyone else like me and don't know where to start or how to start.

Cheers

I would get a big torque 2-3 hp 3 phase and run it on the pulley setup like my build and others. You can get to 8k for machining aluminum and swap pulley positions with the belt for machining slowly with lots of torque:

Here is another guy with a RF45 clone with a 2 hp doing DOC cuts:

Last edited:
I would get a big torque 2-3 hp 3 phase and run it on the pulley setup like my build and others. You can get to 8k for machining aluminum and swap pulley positions with the belt for machining slowly with lots of torque:

I guess I have some idea of what I am gonna go with. a 3 HP 3 PH AC motor with a 1 PH to 3 PH VFD and some spindle control board for Mach3 control.

You have clarified a lot. Thanks so much

so since the equation is the same. If we are talking 3 HP of max RPM 3450 & min. RPM 500 motor then the torque will be 6.2 Nm for max. RPM and 42.7 Nm for min. RPM. If we added a pully to reach 7000 RPM with a ratio of 2.05:1 we will decrease the torque of max. RPM to about 3.1 Nm

with your experience in machining, is 3.1 Nm enough torque to machine aluminium or any other material if I am going to use very small tools for engraving?

so since the equation is the same. If we are talking 3 HP of max RPM 3450 & min. RPM 500 motor then the torque will be 6.2 Nm for max. RPM and 42.7 Nm for min. RPM. If we added a pully to reach 7000 RPM with a ratio of 2.05:1 we will decrease the torque of max. RPM to about 3.1 Nm

with your experience in machining, is 3.1 Nm enough torque to machine aluminium or any other material if I am going to use very small tools for engraving?

This is also the case with this DC motor that I am talking about. If it is really 3 HP it will output theoretically the same torque at the same RPM. So why do i prefer the AC motor over this DC motor?

This is also the case with this DC motor that I am talking about. If it is really 3 HP it will output theoretically the same torque at the same RPM. So why do i prefer the AC motor over this DC motor?

The motor you linked is "brushless DC" which is really a synchonous AC motor with an inverter driving it.

Back