Auction Tooling

roadie33

Active User
Registered
Went to an Auction today and picked up some good tooling.
All together it was around $130 for all of it.
The one huge box of taps and drills was $55. It weighed 27 lbs.
There was a Brown and Sharpe DTI, Starrett 6" level in the boxes too.
The box of dills was $25.
I figure I did pretty good since a lot of it looked to be in new shape or hardly used.

upload_2016-6-18_22-3-22.png

upload_2016-6-18_22-4-43.png

upload_2016-6-18_22-4-54.png

upload_2016-6-18_22-5-11.png

upload_2016-6-18_22-5-27.png

upload_2016-6-18_22-2-22.png

+1 on what woodtickgreg said.

The BesTest indicator, if working smoothly and repeatably, is worth at least half of what you paid for all of it... Great score. For some reason, used taps and drills in a box, even top brands in great condition, are often available in lots like that at incredibly good prices, but when you want to sell some of the duplicates, cleaned up and sorted, there is little interest, at least in my experience. Still, very nice haul!

I'd say you did very well on that deal. Feels kinda like Christmas, doesn't it? Mike

It does kind of feel like Christmas. :excitement:
Got to go to Harbor Freight and pick up some more Evapo-Rust so I can get them all looking like new again.
On my last gallon and it is looking pretty scummy. Poured it thru a filter to try and clean some of the gunk out but it's not cleaning like it should.

I found one thing, I use the basket carb cleaner to clean all the oil and junk off the items, clean them up, Then put them into the Evapo rust, That way I have been getting less stuff in the evapo rust and Hope it last longer. Doing that it does seem to get more stuff cleaned off as less likely that anything is on it to keep the evapo rust from getting to it.
again Nice score.

It does kind of feel like Christmas. :excitement:
Got to go to Harbor Freight and pick up some more Evapo-Rust so I can get them all looking like new again.
On my last gallon and it is looking pretty scummy. Poured it thru a filter to try and clean some of the gunk out but it's not cleaning like it should.

Can also try soaking in white vinegar. Basically its a low concentration acetic acid. Works awesome although maybe a bit slower, won't burn your skin and much cheaper.

Great score.

I found a deal also, but not quite as good as yours. I came across an ebay listing for "miscellaneous drill bits in a metal box". Oh, and it was under Woodworking Tools. I took a chance because they were in a drill index. I ended up getting them for $15 including shipping.

drill bits s.jpg

They were a complete set of 29 bits, 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths. Made by General Hardware Manufacturing, New York, NY. The little information I found indicates 1950s - 1970s.

All nice and sharp with just a bit of sawdust on them.

With this set, I finally have the drill bits I need: fractional, number, letter, and S&D 1/2" to 1".

All made in the USA.

Back