1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Attention scrappers! Be careful!!

Discussion in '++ Q & A THREADS OF INTEREST ++' started by Tony Wells, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Jack, what you say is true, but as far as I know, they still use Cs-137 for density measurements in MWD, so gamma radiation is still a potential hazard. The Am-241 likely to be in that lost (and recovered) tool is used in a Neutron generator, and is still dangerous.

2. cobraJack

cobraJack United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    College Station
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Oh, Absolutely! All of the forms of ionizing radiation are dangerous under many circumstances. I wasn't intending to downplay that. We had a 10 curie Cs-137 source. When the source was removed from the pig (shielding container) I measured harmful level of gamma over 50ft away through a couple of 4 ft thick high density walls. Once I used a neutron detector at midnight out in the parking lot of the facility and got a high reading. (Running experiments when fewest people around.)

The oilfield does use many types of sources- gamma, neutron, x-ray. All of which need special care and control.
    I've been a safety engineer for close to 40 years- a significant portion in the oilfield (production side onshore and offshore)

Just emphasizing - Just because one meter reads zero not all is guaranteed safe. BE CAREFUL!

Thanks for the input/clarification, Tony

Jack

3. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

At least there is a trend, or at least talk about generating the necessary radiation rather than using a hard source. I for one would welcome that. I'm not doing anything at the time closely related to such radiation, but I have in the past. I've been RSO in a research lab, and machined many, many components for the various tools used for MWD/LWD, and it always made me a little nervous when they would bring in a used tool for rework or modification. I'm also wary of a nearby Schlumberger field office where they do keep active sources. I know too many of the hands to be comfortable with some of them. I just hope they don't get to handle the tools to much.

I also have been exposed a little myself to NORMs from fracwater flowback. Dosimeter said I was safe, but I didn't like it one little bit.

4. cobraJack

cobraJack United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    College Station
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Understood. I was 18-19 years old when I was a HP technician for the local university radiological safety office. We had a rad matl machine shop at the cyclotron where I worked. Lots of decontamination to do.

I guess we both probably glow in the dark. :whistle: LOL. Looong time ago.

Good topic to bring to the attention of folks every so often.

Jack