Atlas Super Power Motor Rebuild Referrals Needed

Is the capacitor still in the circuit? That would explain why the reading is changing. Normally I would expect the windings to hold a steady reading.

Nope I desoldered the one wire from the start capacitor to remove the reactor. The start winding had a good value. All the others were fluctuating. I'll retest them again tonight so I can give approximate values. And the start capacitor tested good. As in set meter to ohms/continuity test two leads reading should rise and fall. Switch leads reading should rise and fall again.

Regards-Carlo

Sim going to attempt to post some videos here just for fun and to show how I tested

Regards-Carlo

Carlo: Make sure your meter connections are good. The windings might still be OK, but you need to check and double check your connections. Sounds like the cap is good (at least your rising and falling test sounds OK, and that's the best test if you don't have a capacitance meter).
Usually, for 120 volt, you have two bundles of three wires each. The power connects to those. Pretty simple.
Like Jim D. said, you want steady ohm readings and no shorts or leakage to ground (the motor frame).
Mark S.

Usually, for 120 volt, you have two bundles of three wires each. The power connects to those.
Mark S.

To clarify, in a 120 VAC single phase motor that does not have a terminal strip or spade terminals. two bundles of three wires would include the two line wires. Two bundles of three wires PLUS the two line wires would be found in a 120/240 VAC motor connected for 120 VAC.

And as another general comment, if you can still find one, an analog multimeter is generally superior to a digital one for this sort of work.

That motor was made by Kingston-Conley. They made many of the Atlas and Walker Turner motors. Identifying the wire colors can sometimes be a challenge. Here are some diagrams from a Walker Turner version that might help. They are nice motors worth fixing.

WT_Motor_110V_Correct.png

WT_Motor_220V_Correct.png

If you still want the motor repair business. Williar electric it's in Gibbsboro , NJ. Ck the Camden county yellow pages. I've dealt with them for many years always good repairs and prices.

I agree , Williar has been around forever. I think they use to be in Laural Springs.
HWF

I agree , Williar has been around forever. I think they use to be in Laural Springs.
HWF
He is right on the border edge. this side of the rail road tracks. pretty sure but no matter there still there as far as I know. so it's a matter of post office. trying to find it the first times always the hardest. Off the beaten path so to speak. I need a starter for a ge motor guess ill be seeing them.

Back