Atlas/Sears/Craftsman 101.07301 4-jaw chuck, change gears, outside jaws for 3 jaw

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,

I'm incredibly fortunate to have been given a Sears 101.07301 lathe by Jim Dawson this weekend and now the quest begins to get a few bits of tooling to fill out an otherwise really well equipped lathe. I'm very interested in acquiring:

1. a 4in 4-jaw independent chuck with 1" x 8tpi back plate (although I can always buy/ make a back plate if I need to). Cosmetic condition is unimportant as long as the jaws move smoothly and it hasn't been abused

2. change gears - any and all considered. I haven't yet fully figured out what ones are on there and what ones I'd really like to have (it's all a bit confusing at the moment!), but anything is going to expand what I have already. The other option is making my own, which would be a pretty neat project!

3. long shot - outside jaws for the 4" 3-jaw scroll chuck on there. No markings that I can see, although it needs a good cleaning.

thanks!
matt

Spindle nose thread discussion posts moved to new thread in Atlas/Craftsman/AA Forum. See Wanted post below.

Robert D.

I take it you have tried Ebay? THere are all sorts of chucks, gears and parts for the 6 inch lathes. You can look under Craftsman or Atlas although they are usually tagged for both. Gear sets can be pricey or reasonable depending on your ability to wait for a set to come up for sale cheap. There was some one sellng jaw sets but you need to know the brand of the manufacturer of your chuck.

thanks mredburn, I've been checking out eBay. The couple of threading gear sets that I've seen so far have gone for more than I can afford. There's more variation with the chucks, so I'll just keep my eye open on that front. Either way, no funds this month and possibly none the next, so it's a bit moot right now :)

I have a 4 jaw 4 " chuck I would sale for $50.00 plus freight plain back

thanks Wing98, I'll pass that onto my cousin. What happened with the score around the chuck body, out of interest? Also, the bottom of the jaw in the 2nd pic looks blued, or is that just a photo artifact? Thanks!

the score around the body was there when I got it
the bluing is on all the jaws it was that way when I got it also
the chuck works good if I don't sale it I might put it on my rotary table

Back