Atlas parts

fireguyfire

Registered
Registered
I was lucky enough to acquire an Atlas model H54 lathe in working condition recently; I am quite excited to go deeper into the world of machining.
After posting up the serial number here it turns out it was made in late 1944 which is cool.

My plan for the lathe will be a full restoration to as close to factory new as possible. I have already identified a few parts I will be wanting to replace, and also a few small minor things are missing that I will want to put back.

Is there a best source for parts for these old Atlas lathes?

I’ve rebuilt 4 Atlas 10F lathes and have a bunch of parts, some are new that I’m tired of storing. Let me know what you need and we’ll sort out a deal. PM would be best.

Cheers,

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Derek; I will certainly be in touch once I have a good idea what I’ll be needing.
Some are little tiddly things such as the knob for the headstock cover, and things like that.
I’ll be in touch

Clausing still has some new OEM parts for Atlas lathes. Clausing bought the Atlas brand years ago.

Also, you can use your lathe to make parts for itself. For example, most of the pulleys and knobs you could make yourself.

Correction: Clausing did not buy Atlas. Atlas Press Co. bought Clausing in 1950. In 1969 Atlas renamed itself Clausing.

Last edited:
I purchased parts from My Machine Shop .net Joel Rogers was more than help helpful and knowledgeable . He even sent a parts break down and list. Phone number 269 683 7786. Email rogersjoel830@sbcglobal.net This was in 2015 I think the information is still good. Be careful taking the lathe apart some of the parts are a zinc alloy . I broke the gear case housing in the carriage.

Clausing still has some new OEM parts for Atlas lathes. Clausing bought the Atlas brand years ago.

That is a common misconception, but it is backwards. Atlas bought Clausing in 1949/50. They apparently kept most of the Clausing employees on the payroll and somehow, the Clausing hands eventually gained control of the company.

That is a common misconception, but it is backwards. Atlas bought Clausing in 1949/50. They apparently kept most of the Clausing employees on the payroll and somehow, the Clausing hands eventually gained control of the company.
Kinda like the downfall of South Bend ?

Yes, I guess. Although maybe not quite as bad as that. Wasn't SB bought out by a Chinese Communist company?

Back